Cooking (not just dinner)

http://m.campbellskitchen.com/recipes/tuna-noodle-casserole-24254?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

Forgot to upload these on Sunday… I also forget to take pics while we were actually making the dough. Anyways, we use a brioche dough for our cinnamon rolls, so this is it after its first rise and once it has been rolled out. You can also see that it is covered in melted butter, that’s the secret to these cinnamon rolls. (In the top left corner you can some some floss, we use that to actually cut the rolled up dough into rolls.)

Cinnamon, sugar, and walnut mixture sticks to the layer of butter and… oh it smells soooo good.

We roll it up with a piece of wax paper that all of the previous steps were done on. The measuring tape is for cutting equally sized rolls, we mark the roll with the knife every 1.5 inches and then comeback through with the dental floss to actually cut the rolls, it keeps them surprisingly neat and well formed.

Cinnamon rolls before second rise, we actually left this batch in the fridge overnight and pulled them out on Sunday and gave them some more time to rise before we baked them. (Of course the pan is heavily buttered)

Baked cinnamon rolls after cooling and once coated in icing. We use a simple classic sugar icing, nothing fancy.

Close up view with slightly better lighting.

14 Likes

o_O  

1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup1
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons chopped pimientos (optional)2
1 cup frozen green peas3
2 cans (about 5 ounces each ) tuna in water, drained4
4 ounces (about 2 cups) medium egg noodles, cooked and drained5
2 tablespoons plain dry bread crumbs
1 tablespoon butter, melted

1 My “children” are only starting to like mushrooms, of certain varieties, cooked in certain ways, and they don’t even agree on these points…oh, and they’re used to soup from scratch, so canned soup is not going to fly;
2 One of them does not like red peppers in any iteration;
3 Same one does not like peas in any iteration;
4 None of us eat tuna;
5 Believe it or not, they don’t like egg noodles, although they love virtually every other type of noodle/pasta out there, from any cuisine.

Yup, that bastion of Midwestern potlucks is never going to fly in our home!

Why did you offer a link to it, in response to my post about tortilla-based pizzas? Is this a comparison between 20th and 21st century comfort food? That would be an interesting discussion!

3 Likes

I’ll bring whatever you want, and please let me know your address so I can Google it…thanks!

2 Likes

I hate you and love you simultaneously!

4 Likes

That is not really a bad thing. I made some for a regrettable food party. It was passable but I used French’s Fried Onions in place of bread crumbs which helped it a lot.

2 Likes

OMG those look wonderful. And a lot of work, but jeebus they look delicious.

3 Likes

Tuna casserole was my mother’s go-to example of crap food she WOULD NOT be serving to her family. Multiply that by my father’s opinion that canned cream of ~anything~ soup is an abomination upon humanity, and this recipe pushes all my buttons.

But, more recently, a friend made a tuna casserole from scratch, and had me over for dinner. It was really good. Her mom was a cook in a school cafeteria back when they actually cooked the food every day, so she has very different food prejudices than I do. Still, though, I trust her cooking to be good, even if her broccoli is always overcooked :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Your post was at the bottom of the list, and easiest to hit reply to.

I had just looked up the recipe and found it interesting. I would not use pimentos. Never heard of that.

5 Likes

I was picturing a tuna casserole pizza, and getting slightly worried.

4 Likes

@jlw I’ve noticed that you’ve done that before :smiley:
psst…immediately below the bottom post are some options…one of them is a big blue rectangular “Reply” button…Using that will add your new post to the bottom of the list, without replying to a specific previous poster…it’s like replying to the thread in general :slight_smile:

btw I always enjoy when you post a comment :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I’m surprised to be the one to break it to “Boing Boing’s publisher”, but there’s a Reply button after all the posts, so you can just reply to the thread in general.

3 Likes

Jinx!!

2 Likes

You use the software your way, i use it mine.

5 Likes

Bread in general is a lot of work but these are certainly compounded by the extra steps. They also smell delicious and taste delicious :blush:! Why? Because of the butter!!! Butter, butter, and more butter. Seriously it makes everything taste better, olive oil works pretty well too, but it’s not butter.

8 Likes

I’m tempted to post all my replies (unless they’re in response to a specific post) as a reply to you in any thread we’re both in!

8 Likes

Thats the Chicago way?

4 Likes

That reminds me - I’m going to be making Chicago style pizza in a couple of weeks’ time. Some friends from Chicago who live here are going to join us in welcoming my wife’s sister and her husband from the US, so we thought we would try it. (We’ve never actually met my SIL’s husband - he seems like a nice guy, but he hates social media and won’t even talk to us on Skype. He wants our first impressions of him to be in person, as if you can marry someone’s sister and wait for two more years without making an impression on them).

3 Likes

Is it possible that they honestly couldn’t afford to come before now, or couldn’t get off work? Still, the refusal to use alternate means of communication is a head-scratcher.

Which type of Chicago style pizza are you going for…pan, or deep dish? Personally, I prefer pan, because deep dish has too much cheese-to-sauce-to-crust ratio. As in, a week’s worth of cheese with what seems like barely a dollop of sauce, and the crust almost doesn’t even register as being there either (other than the soggy layer in the middle, which is even worse).

Pan requires a good crust and a good sauce, which makes all the difference to me.

4 Likes