Cooking (not just dinner)

Bread is not a lot of work!
I only make no knead breads, let the yeast do the work for you!! Longer rising times, less yeast/sugar (or no sugar if you leave it for 18 hours) so good! I have been to know to come home from a party drunk and make bread dough for morning MissyPants to find and bake for breakfast! Drunk MissyPants is pretty thoughtful! :smiley:

12 Likes

We’ve seen my SIL a few times as she’s happy to communicate on Skype or Facebook, but he’d rather meet face to face the first time and won’t be around if she is on Skype. He went on a cycle tour of Europe a few years ago and stayed overnight with my brother, who got on well with him. I think he just feels a bit nervous about meeting family for the first time.

I also prefer not to overdo the cheese, so I’ll probably go with pan style.

3 Likes

I’m going to be making Chicago style pizza in a couple of weeks’ time

So you’re making a lasagna?

(@chgoliz, @OtherMichael, I am unrepentant in my pizza prejudices)

11 Likes

I’ve never tried it before, and it’s something our friends miss from home. Comparing it to lasagne doesn’t discourage me though…

4 Likes

Oh, it’s good. Just plan for a nap afterwards.

Let me rustle up some pics.

5 Likes

Hey, if you prefer a cracker moistened with a swipe of tomato juice – that’s your right as an domain-expert on napping who is stepping outside of his knowledge-zone.

9 Likes

I hear Grant Achatz at Alinea in Chicago has perfected the Deconstructed Chicago style pizza. It’s a bloody Mary served in a two pound cup made of limp mozzarella accompanied by a day old, stale elephant ear.

6 Likes

That took you 7 minutes?

5 Likes

Didn’t I have to get the grieving out of the way from how you heathens butcher your tomato sauce? (And I also had to Google Achatz to make sure I spelled his name right)

8 Likes

Not pizza, sorry (and diner time, so no time to go into the ‘cracker with sauce’, yes! And no, it’s not a cracker :wink: )
But @japhroaig is this oven-rise or not? I did not give it much because I needed to ran an important errant at a ‘bad point’’. (Terrible, and there was nothing burning, nobody dead, everybody working, jeeezz…)

7 Likes

You’re going to have a denser crumb with whole grain bread, that’s just how it goes. Still looks quite yummy, even if you were interrupted in your timing sequence!

7 Likes

the oven kick is pretty obvious, especially on the lower loaf. they both look great. the color of the crust is really nice. the crumb looks like it might be a little chewy perhaps (hard to say since you didn’t air-ship me a sandwich :D), but i gotta say–i’d be proud of them.

5 Likes

Yes the whole grain bread, sourdough, is a bit denser. Even when folding. But also the nice kind of wet/chewy which, if you like, is great.

6 Likes

Darn for it, that it is not possible to air-ship, I would love to give you a taste :slight_smile:
Indeed the oven kick was great, and I just not expected it any more. I was sharing because of the surprise and happiness about it.

5 Likes

And you know, during the week, when it’s sandwich time, there is no need for nice fluffy, all so great, but stale in a few hours, bread. This is what happens with this bread:

And in the freezer, but no prob, it can handle it, mostly, fresh is always better.

4 Likes

Ah. I thought you were worried that the loaves weren’t perfect because you’d been interrupted. They seemed fine to me, so I wasn’t sure what you didn’t like about them!

4 Likes

I have the weirdest kids: they have never liked sandwiches for lunch, but they do like them for dinner. So they’ll eat last night dinner’s leftovers (in a Thermos) for lunch instead, and then every once and a while I’ll suggest sandwiches for dinner (because I don’t have enough time to cook) and they ALWAYS say yes to that idea. I don’t mind the leftovers-for-lunch part, but something in me finds sandwiches for dinner to be “wrong” in some inexplicable way.

8 Likes

Sandwiches are one of the multitude of food items that have their history in being either / both portable and / or consumable while doing something else. I can see why it feels a little weird for the last meal of the day.

2 Likes

a case of the “Traditional German Cuisine” disease

breakfast:

lunch:

dinner:

9 Likes

Will do that someday…*

*Will definitely try it this weekend if I have time kind of someday.

2 Likes