Cooking (not just dinner)

I try to make something interesting for dessert for Friday family dinner, even if the meal itself is nothing spectacular. Today’s dessert was caramelized pears with blue cheese and black-pepper caramel sauce. Kids aren’t going to eat that

so I don’t have to make a ton of them, right? Yah. You know what happened. RatWoman and I split one, and the kids were still fighting to lick the empty serving bowl. Came out well, though. Recipe here.

[Edited to change to the non-flash pic]

9 Likes

Am I a great mom? LOL
Made a lot of mini cakes, biological butter, same with the eggs, flour, sugar, lemon.
Ah, kids, please decorate them with a lot of icing, coloured icing, and terrible Dr Oetker stuff. ;-l

They look great btw, cudos to them.
(Edit, name fault)

13 Likes

Do you mean cupcakes?

Or is there a regional mini cake style there, like a mini Breton butter cake?

5 Likes

Noop, no regional style. Only me who thought that a regular cupcake sizing is way to big to be a threat, more a lunch. Never baked cupcakes before, but seen them. :wink:
This size is like an inch approx, 2 per kid. Reasonable I think. This in .nl home BTW. And I found the ‘holders’ in the HEMA. So, it can be a regional thing. To be honest, I have no idea what I’m talking about.
The youngest one asked for ‘cupcakes’ to serve in his class, and mother jumps.

7 Likes

I hope I’m not being nosy, or at least, I don’t want to be rude because I like you. But, what is on the wall below the clock? Directly in front of the kids? It’s 12 round things, with smaller round things on each one? It’s cool looking.

You are a sweet mother for making treats for class. I was always so proud when my mother brought treats (“MY mom made these”) because she makes great sweets.

6 Likes

Oh, no you are not rude. Remember I’m European, French, Dutch, not easy to be rude to, even if you try. :wink:
Lovely to hear you like me btw. I don’t hear that often. (maybe rude to say?)
But to answer your question, it’s a thing that came with the kitchen. (A lovely one btw, very expensive normaly, but stood for 4 years as a demonstration model, Bulthaup. Normaly not for ‘normal’ earning people, but sometimes you are lucky). They are pots. It’s for dried herbs… And I have no idea why a high end kitchen builder would think people want to store dried herbs… So I use the bottles in there for pepper corns, seeds, and spices. Things that go a while when stored. I only needed to remove text and rewrite some…

Nice to hear about your remembering. I hope it will work out here the same. Even after 30/40 year, when it is grown up. Hope I’m there than. :wink:

8 Likes

Built in spice storage, that does sound fancy. It’s a nice kitchen. :smile: I am jealous of nice kitchens, but I’ll have saved up enough money for ours in a few more years.

6 Likes

Ah, it sounds fancy. But it is kind of useless. But you know? If you get a bargain of a 4 year old demo model of a brand of kitchenbuilders who can handle that easily (and a long time use after that) , you are not in a a position to complain. And it looks nice, that is true. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I know EXACTLY how that goes!

We have mini cupcake pans that sound just about the same size. They are great for younger children especially, but I like them because you get some sweet, but not as much as a full cupcake or slice of cake (which is too much sugar, usually).

Mini on the left, regular on the right:

6 Likes

We have those too: magnetic, right?

Why anyone would store herbs directly over the heat of a stove, I cannot fathom!

4 Likes

We call them babycakes here.

8 Likes

8 Likes

German rhubarb meringue cake with ginger tea:

10 Likes

Save me a slice! Heading over for tea now!

3 Likes

I’m making night waffles. Basically regular waffles, but a bit undercooked (4 minutes instead of 5) so you can heat them in the toaster the next morning. This is my plan so I don’t have to cook breakfast at 6am

11 Likes

Yeah it relies on instant oven cinnamon rolls… but I so have to try this.

http://rainydaygal.com/2009/12/18/day-6-bacon-cinnamon-rolls/

1 Like

Anyone know of a good squash casserole recipe?

Are you looking for Summer squash (zucchini, crookneck, etc.) or Winter squash (butternut, acorn, hubbard, etc.)?

Summer, specifically yellow squash… these guys:

I saw them at the market last week and they just looked so pretty and yummy!

1 Like

How about some sort of ratatouille?

1 Like