Cooking (not just dinner)

@zfirphdn and @renke it seems the mustard seed did the job. I’m will be sure when cold and left alone for a while.
2.5 kilo tomatoes (mixed, black Russian, orange, auntie green, etc, from the greenhouse) one really big union, red pepper, garlic. And lot’s of spices from far away. And this is it…

Maybe next year I’m just going to make tomato sauce again. More economical :wink:

11 Likes

I was about to continue this further in response to your PM then I figured why not do it in public? :wink:

It’s interesting how much the spices you can’t even taste affect the final product. I also use distilled white vinegar instead of cider or wine vinegar, and some corn syrup (Karo brand here) along with the sugar instead of the high fructose corn syrup that Heinz uses.

I like this stuff better than Heinz, I think the flavor is deeper and more complex. Yeah, I realize this is ketchup we’re talking about, deep and rich are not usually descriptive words I use about it.

7 Likes

Maybe that’s indeed the ‘thing’. Longer cooking (need to get rid off the water instead of using some thickening stuff). And an other kind of sugaring. And reverse engineering of spices is not always easy because they blend.
But a leftover spoon gave the reaction ‘ketchup’, so… Probably okay. But not ‘Heinz’ . :wink:
Ketjep sounds good enough.

4 Likes

I get it at my local grocery store. I think most grocery stores have it, but they all shelve it in different places. Some places have it with the worcestershire, others have it with spices, some have it with barbecue sauce. It’s pretty cheap, and a bottle lasts a while.

This is the stuff I use, though it’s less than half that price at the grocery store, think I paid $2-3. For some reason liquid smoke is really expensive on Amazon. It shouldn’t be more than $1-3.

2 Likes

I never saw in in groceries in Germany and think this is similar in the Netherlands. Best chance for @Stynx is an online shop like usfoodz.nl.

1 Like

We have something called Worcestershire sauce (pronounced: Woosta-shure) that would be good in your recipe. Not sure what they have there that would be similar.

2 Likes

much easier to find on this side of the pond (and gives probably better results, I’m not a big fan of smoke aroma in unsmoked foodstuff)

2 Likes

The British Worcestershire sauce (which I assume is what you get in the rest of Europe, at least for the time being) is rather different than the US variety, even though it is the same company. The UK version has malt vinegar, and the US version is both much sweeter, and much saltier. Kind of gross.

2 Likes

intersting, didn’t know about the two rather different recipes

1 Like

It is pretty common actually. (Also with things like cleaning products.)

1 Like

I’m aware of variations (e.g. Nutella: much sweeter in Italy), but skimming the US section of the Worcestershire sacue article it’s not a variant but a different (albeit related) product

1 Like

Having been a frequent consumer of both, I would say that they are definitely the same family of product. I think the US formulation got changed a very long time ago, possibly to accommodate tastes from an earlier era (or maybe having more salt helped preserve it when being shipped), and they have just stuck with that in the US ever since.

1 Like

How is that even possible? The variant sold in North America is already the nutritional equivalent of frosting.

8 Likes

Just thinking about it makes my teeth hurt.

4 Likes

my baseline is German Nutella: more cacao, less sugar and nuts.

7 Likes

Worcestershire sauce is easy to get over here, in the Netherlands and in France. Smoke aroma I’ve never seen in France (rural) but in Rotterdam I probably will find. But maybe I will agree with @renke, you smoke stuff or not. But no idea what the ingredients are in ‘smoke aroma’.
Never the less, it is an interesting recipe.

@thirdworldtaxi Can, and will you list the ingredients of the ‘liquid smoke’? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

liquid smoke is actually liqui(fie)d smoke - burn wood and condense the smoke: bamm! liquid smoke.

heavily regulated in the EU, no idea if my above definition is true for more free and brave regions like the US

5 Likes

It’s like if you are telling me that the stuff (when dilluted) I grab every summer from the inside of the chimneys will do the job. :wink:
(Burning mixed wood, pure, dry, at good heat, but won’t eat that)

4 Likes

Condensed smoke. :smile: Alton Brown did a Good Eats episode that told you how to make your own. I’ll see if I can find it on Youtube. As far as I’m concerned, it’s more trouble than it’s worth. Smoked flavor should come from smoking.

Edit: Yeah, here it is. The liquid smoke manufacture starts about 9 minutes in.

2 Likes

Thanks :wink: I always like to read about food making. Why not try a watch on ‘TV’. (Free evening!!!)
Looking into the recipe above, why not make a lot and just smoke it? If you have a place where you can do that. (Just small, on the stove, you know the drill probably).

1 Like