Cooking (not just dinner)

Can work!? We are gonna get cheese fighty, aren’t we.

7 Likes

cheese fight, no whey, how dare-he:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

seems like the kind of fight where everyone is a winner!
just leave the swiss cheese out of it, it is neutral.

6 Likes

I’ll throw down:

Emmental is the most noble of cheeses.

4 Likes

I got no dog in this fight. Australia’s entry in the cheese-war was banned due to casual racism.

3 Likes

I think I may make this tonight, with a slight twist. Rice vinegar. Sort of like a sushi risotto ball.

Oh god, now I’m thinking… A whole new class of nigiri. Give me a second.

3 Likes

Miniature rice cake topped with:

• Sesame seaweed/wakame salad
  • Spicy pulled pork
  • Quick pickled cucumbers and chives
  • Grilled fatty liver
  • Butter and salt
  • BBQ tofu

Holy crap this is endless. I am even envisioning things like madeleine pans to make perfect little rice cakes.

Eta

• Lump lobster with onion, celery, and aioli
  • An inverted deviled quail egg
  • Grilled eggplant

The rice cakes need a slight indentation in the middle, so the topping won’t slide around.

6 Likes

At this point, they’re going to need to be yuuge rice cakes to fit all those toppings on.

Also

• Ketchup
6 Likes

Wow…that is a real company! Mmmmmmmmm…the delicious, delicious, taste of racism! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

okay, its official, if i ever get rich you can come be my live in chef on my private island. happy mutants far an wide will flock to our tropical utopia…

6 Likes

Why not just do rice balls, with the various ‘toppings’ as fillings instead?

4 Likes

They seem like they would make interesting hors d’oeuvres with the rice cakes. I can see some of the toppings working as well with o-nigiri. Not so much with the seasoned rice though.

2 Likes

Ah, I have a reason for that. A filled rice ball is a Surprise. A rice cake nigiri is Anticipation. Both are good, but can you imagine the contrast of a slightly roasted rice cake, yellowed with egg, topped with the brightest, emerald green, jewel like wakame? And a slight dusting of bonito on top?

It’s giving me shivers just thinking about it.

5 Likes

A near dinner mistake… I started crockpot chili - cooked up the turkey with onions, added chili powder, cilantro, and garlic salt to it, put it in the crock pot with the beans, tomatoes, and a can of beer… and forgot to turn it on for about an hour and a half… Finally did, right before 2, so should be done by 7ish or so. But man… good thing I get up often for coffee!

Also, need to go start some bread in a minute, so it will be done in time for the chili.

9 Likes

Chilly Chili… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Indeed! the bread just finished up, so now time for HOT, fully cooked chili!

5 Likes
  • roasted red bell pepper with pinch of fresh minced parsley or fennel
  • slow-roasted garlic slices with a paper-thin lemon slice (skin on)
  • ajvar
  • fig tapenade (maybe dust with a high-quality cinnamon)
  • olive tapenade
  • marzipan blob, topped with candied apricot slice and a soft white cheese lump
  • tiny shred of preserved salted lemon, a spearmint leaf, and goat cheese
  • egg salad with a dash of good curry powder (and perhaps a few fresh peas)
  • pickled ginger shreds and grated fresh apple (Granny Smith, Pink Lady, Macintosh)
  • seed butter with cacao nibs and maple syrup (I do this one a lot)
  • Texas Caviar
  • goat cheese with a dollop of pesto (I do this one a lot too)
  • hard-boiled duck egg slices dusted with smoked paprika, fresh ground pepper, and a few drops of good olive oil
  • lotus root slice thoroughly cooked in tamari, molasses, star anise and ginger
  • Asian pear slice, dab of Danish blue cheese, walnut half
  • goat cheese or Greek yogurt, a wee bit of good raspberry jam, and a nasturtium flower
  • roasted walnut half, pushed into a half-melted bittersweet chocolate square, sea salt and cayenne powder
  • brandied fruit and any good soft cheese (you pick)
  • puree of roasted butternut squash to which a bit of coconut milk and fresh grated nutmeg as been added, garnish with half of a fresh sage leaf
  • asiago cheese, ok? pure, naked, and crucially: @room temperature

Yeah, like the thumbprint cookie shape, or the cavity-shape I see in some dumplings made in dim sum.

(been there, done those, moved on: bacon, brie, balsamic strawberries, Nutella, water chestnut anything, “baby vegetable” anything, pine nuts, fresh mozzarella, buffalo mozzarella, carrot foam, various fish roe, etc.)

I used to work in restaurants. A lot of them.

ETA: added more annoying overdone foodie-foods esp. the “make foam out of foods that never did anything mean to anyone.”

5 Likes

Well, if you ever need to marry someone, I’ll give you my number.

5 Likes

Do you see!? Do you see what is in my closet!?

Need to top off the brine…

8 Likes

Oh wow… drool. Izzat preserved regular ol’ lemon, or yuzu, or… ?

ETA: I meant to ask if you’d ever kneaded a bit of that preserved lemon into goat cheese, or included it in the dipping oil for gently steamed artichokes.

I’ve always wanted to make maki rolls with a fresh-grated wasabi to which a wee bit of minced preserved lemon has been added.

1 Like

:wink: