Cooking (not just dinner)

While we’re talking cheese: those of you cheese-lovers in the U.S. need, need to try those from the Sartori family in Wisconsin. Everything else tastes one-dimensional by comparison. Their premium cheeses like BellaVitano are stellar but pricey (~$19/lb) but their MontAmoré is, to my senses, a very close second and almost half the price.

6 Likes

I totally agree. Whenever I have foreign guests, I make sure that I serve at least one BellaVitano in the all-U.S.-made assortment.

Our favorites are the balsamic and the raspberry tort.

5 Likes

Interesting piece on ketchup:

http://www.cooksscience.com/articles/story/ketchup-physics-101/

9 Likes

Cabbage beef soup with my usual modifications (replace vegetable oil with butter if it’s not going to involve frying, canola if it is going to involve frying; as much cumin as I feel like).

When I put the cabbage in, I started to feel like they might have been pulling my leg. An hour after this and I’m still not sure but we’ll see this evening.

ETA: I forgot to take pictures last night. :sweat: The cabbage calmed down and my sample bowl of soup was excellent. I didn’t drain off all the “fat” (aka mostly just liquid) from the onions and 80/20 ground beef). It might have been a bit dry without the liquid from the beef and onions. It’s a tiny bit greasy on account of the left-in liquid though.

11 Likes

I love when an article points out something that ought to have been obvious (in this case, that ketchup is difficult to get out of the bottle partly because it’s a non-Newtonian fluid). I guess that’s why when you hit the bottom of the bottle, it tends to either become more solid and stay there, or make a mess.

Incidentally, earlier this year I went to the Wensleydale factory; you can try all of their cheese varieties after the tour:

Although it doesn’t seem to be that popular among some people here, I liked a number of their varieties (particularly the oak smoked and mature versions of Wensleydale, but also their sheep’s cheese).

9 Likes

I used to make these when I worked as a waiter in Spain, and I was trying again this evening (I’m using a photo from the internet because the quality is much better, but I did get the five layers in mine!):

• condensed milk
  • Licor 43
  • espresso
  • milk foam and a little milk
  • Cinnamon
  • Lemon rind

And this is how you make it:

I usually use less condensed milk and 43, because it gets very sweet otherwise. You need enough 43 to allow you to see a clear layer though. If you add more than a little milk you’ll eliminate the black layer.

12 Likes

I happened upon a ridiculously simple and accidentally-vegan recipe (getting ready for a houseful of various dietary requirements next week) that sounded too good to be true…long story short, it was. :unamused:

So, if you see a recipe for one box of cake mix (that might have been part of the problem…I couldn’t bring myself to buy Duncan Hines so I got something from Trader Joe’s, which has about 4 oz less in the box) and one can of pumpkin puree (I used butternut squash, though, hoping for a lighter flavor) to be mixed together and baked in the oven for 6-8 minutes, DON’T BOTHER. Everything is wrong about it. But I had to try!

8 Likes

6-8 minutes? What was it trying to be? Sounds like too short of a time to become anything other that slightly warm Butternut Paste.

3 Likes

400F, but you make an excellent point! I did bake them a bit longer, more like 11-12 minutes, but that’s still ridiculous.

You realize I now have to try again, just in case it really is an easy hack?

3 Likes

At the prompting of @JemmieDuffs I remembered to take a pic of the yorkshire pudding…
They came out quite nicely this time and none stuck to the pan either.

@daneel should I have her share the recipe?

14 Likes

Looks good to me!

6 Likes

she should share the result. someday we should organise the “Boingers cook for each other” event

6 Likes

Ooooooh! Looking at my childhood (but we always had one big one, not individual ones) :smiley:

Looks great to me!

1 Like

Well the lion’s share goes to the boy as he is still growing and mom and dad don’t really need 4 of them each.

2 Likes

And now you have me thinking of the follow-up meal we always had: Toad-in-the-Hole made with slices of the leftover roast beef. (Somewhat like having another Yorkshire Pudding with the meat right in it.)

And…(I love the internet!!)…here is the very recipe that my folks used, which someone has taken from the very cookbook that my folks had on the kitchen shelf :smiley: http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Toad-In-The-Hole-the-Australian-way/48810/

(Is it really “the Australian way”?..It does seem that most recipes for Toad-in-the-hole use sausages…Maybe @wanderfound knows…)

2 Likes

Toad-in-the-hole “the Australian way” is, AFAIAA, the same as the UK: it’s poverty food, so the meat tends to be whichever bit of past-its-expiry-date mince is on special at the supermarket.

I ate a lot of Toad-in-the-hole as a kid in the 1970’s. Haven’t had to face it in thirty years, thankfully.

3 Likes

Oh, I see! So, using slices of leftover roast is a bit “elevated” I guess :slight_smile:

I’ve made similar dishes, but meatless, many times–with lots of fried (browned) onions…or fried onions and carrots… or fried onions and apples…whatever is on hand.

3 Likes

I don’t remember ever having non-sausage Toad-in-the-hole.

5 Likes

Does anyone know the technical distinction between Yorkshire pudding and popovers?

4 Likes

They are the same thing, just depends on whether you are a yank or from a commonwealth country as to what you call them.

4 Likes