Cool your hot chips with scented thermal paste

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/09/cool-your-hot-chips-with-scented-thermal-paste.html

8 Likes

Sniff… OMG, the GPU has gone into patchouli! Shut it down!”

11 Likes

Has this got anything to do with the people who sniff their Steam Deck vents?

4 Likes

Did you know that there’s at least as much polarization/religion about the “correct” pattern to apply (cpu) thermal paste as there is the “correct” way to season cast-iron pans? (just a lame google search on the matter) yep. (“Draw a dickbutt then spread it around counterclockwise with the fourth finger of your left hand or all will be lost.”) …emacs is better.

5 Likes

9 Likes

As long as one of the scents isn’t “That burnt CPU smell” then I guess… nope, hard pass for me.

So you are saying their most popular scent wouldn’t be “The Smoke”?

Will it work on these?

vi forevvvveeeeerrr!!!

1 Like

I assume that they got it working with quantities small enough to not matter much; the nose is pretty sensitive to the right compounds; but ‘engineered for outgassing’ doesn’t seem like the first choice I’d make in thermal interface compound.

I huff mine for the fond childhood memories.

When I was little my dad would occasion take me in on a Saturday to his work, he was a mainframe programmer, and I would get to go into the big server room with elevated floors for cooling. That lovely scent from the Deck is the same as the aroma of a full set of server racks and tape reels churning along happily in their climate controlled room of uber-nerdiness.

At least as my brain says, from my formative youth :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.