Coolio dead at 59

Originally published at: Coolio dead at 59 | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Everyone knows him from his big hit, but he could really spit mad freestyle.

Rest In Power

10 Likes

Dang bro, you had some years to go.

14 Likes

So ends this ‘Fantastic Voyage.’

RIP.

20 Likes

So young. What a waste.

10 Likes

Sad, yes. But I wouldn’t call it “a waste” because the man made the most of his limited time on earth, unlike many people.

9 Likes

Maybe 20 years ago my band was playing its weekly gig at a college bar and this little dude with a couple huge dudes next to him get out of a limo and come in. Coolio was playing that weekend and this is the bar he chose. At some point he asked if he could come up and rap a bit and of course we obliged, what for it being a shitty college bar. Dude was great and I still have that fond memory.

31 Likes

Cool.

2 Likes

I’m sure that’s not what she was referring to with the word “waste.”

2 Likes

I was listening to “Songs in the Key of Life” for the first time in years the other day – I had totally blanked on the existence of Pastime Paradise, Gangster’s Paradise (and then Amish Paradise) looming so large in the cultural landscape. Coolio really paid a lovely tribute to the original.

6 Likes

Man, RIP.

Fantastic Voyage would have been a song that was out the summer I graduated and was on MTV a lot in the dorm at JUCO. Good times.

1 Like

I really, really need to get my '67 Cutlass back out on the road.

1 Like

This album was released on September 28, 1976. Coolio died exactly 46 years to the day the song he sampled from was released. Coincidence?

1 Like

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.