Cop roughs up and arrests Utah nurse for not obeying his illegal order to draw blood from unconscious man

That should make quite a TV show.

“Salt Lake City BDU. The crimes are real, the blood is red.”

1 Like

That’s the only part of this story that’s not questionable.

9 Likes

Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up!

1 Like

Elected officials don’t HAVE to bargain collectively with cops AT ALL.

MOST PEOPLE in society are employed WITHOUT collective bargaining agreements OF ANY KIND.

JUST STOP. NO UNION CONTRACTS FOR COPS. WE’RE NOT DOING THAT ANY MORE.

5 Likes

They were hoping to show he was intoxicated. That way it was his fault, not the fault of the chase.

2 Likes

Is there evidence for that version of events, or is it a conspiracy theory?

It doesn’t matter where the truth lies, that’s besides the point. They wanted to illegally draw blood without consent and a warrant.

4 Likes

It’s the only logical explanation we can think of why they demanded to get his blood.

1 Like

It’s the only explanation that makes sense. There’d be no need to provide evidence if they wanted it ruled he wasn’t intoxicated.

1 Like

From the Salt Lake Tribune:

As he stands in the hospital parking lot after the arrest, Payne says to another officer that he wonders how this event will affect an off-duty job transporting patients for an ambulance company.

“I’ll bring them all the transients and take good patients elsewhere,” Payne says.

Apparently he’s working for an outfit called Gold Cross Ambulance. Now, I gotta imagine that the very next patient who has a negative outcome in Jeff Payne’s (or any Gold Cross) ambulance is going to be asking whether that outcome was a result of the destination hospital being selected based on proximity and/or ability to help the patient, or whether patient routing was based his personal grudge.

Or, rather, the patient’s lawyer will likely be asking that question.

13 Likes

Link to said article?

1 Like
1 Like

You misread me sir

From the Salt Lake Tribune

I was interested in the particular comment linking the officer to Gold Cross Ambulance and wanted to see the article in question. If that’s all in the video then great, i just don’t plan to see it. Not in the mood to watch an asshole cop mistreat a nurse.

4 Likes

Departments respond to million dollar payouts. The fact that this detective isn’t suspended shows the department is condoning the behavior.

3 Likes

When I was in high school, we had a course called “The Law and You”.
Perhaps the arresting officer needs to go back to high school. Clearly, his police academy training was insufficient.

3 Likes

Both of those links contain the quote for which you’re searching.

4 Likes

Yah.

Legal action is certainly justified, but what is required is political action. This isn’t an individual problem.

7 Likes

The police were looking for any evidence that could clear them of liability for the accident they had been involved in as a pursuer, legally obtained or not.

6 Likes

We need civilian and/or federal oversight of all police forces. They have shown a blatant inability to police themselves, costing the taxpayers millions in lawsuits.

9 Likes

The only way to really fix this problem is to uproot the entire institution. Bust up their unions, fire every currently serving cop, start over. No amount of re-training will help. Body camera’s just give us better footage to be appalled by. This is a problem with police culture and no one who was trained in, or has been a part of the current radicalized police culture should be permitted to serve. A few bad apples really do spoil the bunch. Even the “Good” cops are complicit, as was this officers silent partner. There is no accountability. There are no consequences.

5 Likes