Cop who killed George Floyd arrested

Look up MOVE Philadelphia 1985

History repeats. All Cops Are Bastards

32 Likes

Thank you.

11 Likes

Yeah I know all those things. I still wish we could have gotten a positive ID on him.

3 Likes

Agreed. Even if he did have a medical issue there’s no excuse for what these cops did. By not actively trying to make things better they have become culpable in making it worse.

2 Likes

Let’s see who will defend this sorry excuse of a person publicly. Because it will happen.

2 Likes

Dude… how about give @Melizmatic some space right now?

15 Likes

At one point in my misspent youth, I worked at a convenience store in the ’hood for a couple years. I would estimate that I sold at least 10,000 loosies. And yet, here I am two decades later, alive enough to post this.

2 Likes

thanks

8 Likes

It’s so hard to convict cops that I’m guessing they are using a lower charge to increase conviction chance.

But I predict that he will be acquitted, and no charges will be filed for the 3 cops who assisted. It’s REALLY hard to convict a cop.

It may not even be possible to sue them for wrongful death:

No real accountability, which probably means nothing will change for the better.

ETA: Note that this policy means that the case does not even get to be presented to a jury, it gets thrown out before the case is argued due to “qualified immunity”.

8 Likes

It may be a red herring, but it seems odd to me that less attention has been given to the fact that the cop and Floyd were co-workers as security guard and bouncer at the same club for 17 years. It is odd to think that there is at least some chance that racism was only part of the problem.

That simply makes it more likely it was pre-meditated murder.

13 Likes

What’s your source on that?
Floyd had only lived in Minnesota for 6 years (so hadn’t worked anywhere there for 17) and its the first I’ve heard that they knew each other

P.S.
Chauvin worked as an off-duty cop at El Nuevo Rodeo for 17 years; Floyd worked security there last year. They didn’t work together directly but were bound to have met

6 Likes

Even if, as some have speculated, Chauvin targeted Floyd because of some dirt Floyd had on him, racism remains the primary problem. The only reason Chauvin wasn’t stopped in the act, or had any reasonable expectation of getting away with it (and still might) is because of racism.

16 Likes

I think that is a red herring. I mean, the issue is that some cops think they can do anything with no consequence because he is black. Even if this guy was specifically targeted because of some non-race related issue, followed around till an excuse presented itself, then killed it is still a racial issue because this cop thought he could get away with it because he is black. EVEN if that cop did not think that, black people are killed WAY more often then white people during arrest and this just exemplifies that to anyone who looks at it.

4 Likes

Not even counterfeiting. Passing a counterfeit bill, which could easily be a mistake.

2 Likes

The 3rd degree murder charge on its face is disappointing but they’re likely thinking it’ll be the easiest to get a conviction on, my thoughts however is that this is 2nd degree murder. IANAL though:

https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/what-are-the-different-types-of-criminal-homicide-30970

I’m glad they arrested him, but as I fancy myself a good and decent person, I hope the arresting officer didn’t stand on his neck for more than about three minutes.

4 Likes

Spoilered because some regulars here probably don’t want to read this one; not optimistic:

I’m guessing that they started from the position of “we will not charge him with anything”, and have now conceded to “in order to defuse the pressure on the streets, we’ll charge him with the lowest-grade offence we can get away with before we deliberately throw the case and release him”.

There is absolutely no reason to assume good faith on the part of the authorities here. Not just the cops, all of them.

Remember Ferguson.

18 Likes

Imagine thinking that this makes you look good.

24 Likes