Cop who killed George Floyd arrested

I know, that was me being sarcastic. I know billion dollar bills don’t exist ($10,000 was the largest bill intended for public use, $100,000 sort of exists, it is actually a gold promise note and somehow not legal for individuals to own, but really anything over $500 is rare and dumb to counterfeit).

Yeah, this guy was killed for being accused of passing a fake $20, and having a fake bill doesn’t mean you know it is fake…and even if he knew it was fake it isn’t a capital crime.

3 Likes

They did the best they could do.

2 Likes

Spoilered because some regulars here probably don’t want to read this one; not optimistic:

And here’s how they’re probably going to do it:

https://twitter.com/davidbegnaud/status/1266462897288425472?s=21

They’ll claim that he wasn’t choked to death, he just coincidentally happened to have a heart attack while he was being Professionally Restrained With Minimal Force™️ by those Heroic Officers™️.

There’ll be more riots when that happens, but by that time the cops will have restocked their ammo supplies and fortified their positions. And most of the identifiable leaders of yesterday’s uprising will have Mysteriously Died in Tragically Unsolved Shootings™️.

11 Likes

yeah, even Cernovich calls it murder:

14 Likes

There’s more than enough gathered video and identification from those who know him that he is way beyond the threshold normally used by officers to accost a gentleman who “fits the description.”

It’s also clear from the video that he’s there “on a job,” rather than rioting due to outrage or to loot Autozone. If he’s not the particular identified St Paul PD officer in question, the theories about white supremacist actors going in to escalate things and transform the narrative into “riots and looting” are highly likely.

2 Likes

The DA will go to court with the charge of involuntary manslaughter, he’ll claim he “feared for his life”, the jury will find him not guilty. Same as it ever was.

4 Likes

I watched video of the person who announced the arrest and charges. He went out of his way to emphasize that bringing charges inside a four day window was extraordinary; said that or some variation several times.

Watching it, I wondered if he understood he was basically writing the defense attorney’s motion for summary dismissal.

1 Like

The Guardian (among others) is reporting that “the men worked together for more than 17 years as bouncers at a local club, El Nuevo Rodeo.” Of course, there’s the risk of incorrect reporting echoing through the mediasphere, but it’s being reported this way in reputable news outlets.

3 Likes

The clarification I’ve seen (don’t recall source, read too damn much already today) is that the perp had worked as a security guard inside the venue for 17 years, and the victim had worked as a bouncer outside the venue for just one year.

4 Likes

Interesting. The Guardian article also has a quote from a city council person:

Andrea Jenkins, the city council vice-president, confirmed Floyd and Chauvin knew each other as “co-workers for a very long time”

I imagine the actual truth will out by and by.

3 Likes

The story started with a Minneapolis councilman misstating how long they had known each other. Floyd only worked there last year according to the bar’s owner. She (the owner) also said it was unclear whether they would have had any direct interaction as Floyd worked inside the bar and Chauvin outside

3 Likes

That’d explain the above.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1266029939536523264

24 Likes

It is interesting how the police in Atlanta, GA have cordoned the protesters off right in front of the CNN building. Why not do it in front of the Capitol Building?

1 Like

Well of course Law Enforcement organizations are taking the worst possible interpretation of that statement instead of reading it as evidence of the preferential treatment they normally enjoy from prosecutors even in the wake of overwhelming evidence against them.

5 Likes

Because CNN is more powerful, obviously

the way it usually works is that the da brings multiple charges as high as they can make them so that it can be pleaded down as part of the opening “bid” during trial.

it’s a pretty terrible double jeopardy madness that’s become standard practice since “tough on crime” and the new jim crow became a thing.

that they’re not doing that seems like simple appeasement to the masses. unless new charges get filed, this seems like it will ultimately be a slap on the wrist for floyd’s murderer

6 Likes
3 Likes

Or read the comic:

Oh, how I miss Ed Piskor’s weekly posts here.

(Adding comment threads for linkage.)

8 Likes

…FEWER people… By the way, looting usually means the property of innocent people gets damaged and/or destroyed. Rioting is also very violent and dangerous. While it’s understandable that people are so upset over this and expressions of rage have come to rioting and looting, they’re not a sustainable method of protest.