Derek Chauvin, the cop who murdered George Floyd, is stabbed in federal prison

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2023/11/25/derek-chauvin-the-cop-who-murdered-george-floyd-is-stabbed-in-federal-prison.html

10 Likes

Being the type of cop he was, it’s almost impossible that Chauvin didn’t make jokes about the very real horrors that awaited those he arrested inside America’s dysfunctional-by-design prison system. As a result I remain unmoved by his encountering this new life experience.

37 Likes

15 Likes

He’s an evil murder. But prisons shouldn’t be as dangerous as they are.

73 Likes

I’m guessing that the views of Derek Chauvin on the need for prison reform and prisoner safety may be slightly different now that he has some personal experience?

30 Likes

Agreed. No matter how horrible the crime they committed, prison should not be a dangerous place for the people incarcerated there.

44 Likes

100% came here to say this. As much enjoyment i might get at the news it’s still important to remind oneself that this is the base reality in prison for everyone else.

25 Likes

I can’t say that I get much enjoyment from this news (except perhaps a frisson of irony), but that reminder is critical. Especially since some “helpful” fellow or other is bound to show up expressing concern over the alleged callousness of Boing Boingers now that a racist former cop is the victim of prison violence.

17 Likes

11 Likes

How many murdering racists ex-cops have to die in prison before there is some real prison reform?

Also:

an inmate recently pulled a gun on a visitor, but it misfired and no-one was harmed.

Jesus Christ, that’s a major lapse in security. Though I have heard that drugs in prison aren’t hard to get, so I guess it makes sense other contraband makes its way in. Still I thought Federal Prisons were supposed to be more secure.

18 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: Bin Laden’s Demise: Isn’t it Ironic? (not if you know what the word means)

However you feel about “prison” being a euphemism for “battery and sexual assault”, bear in mind, it’s also arbitrary. It can just as easily be Andy Dufresne who gets stabbed, and Chauvin living the (relative) high life. In fact, the worse people probably have the easier time, on the whole.

You can be a decent person and still partly feel like Derek Chauvin deserves stabbing. So stories like this lure decent people into complicity with the system. But this system also allows (encourages) other Chauvins to do the stabbing. Even if you wanted cruel punishment, it’s still fucked.

15 Likes

That’s a shame. Now somebody needs to kneel on his chest until he can’t breathe

4 Likes

I’m no great believer in Karma, but sometimes you do reap what you sow.

Chauvin had 18 complaints against him on official record and was involved in three police shootings, one of which was fatal.[9][10][11][12] He received two letters of reprimand for misconduct.[13] On May 25, 2020, Chauvin knelt on Floyd’s neck for about nine minutes while Floyd was handcuffed and lying face down on the street

I mean, the guy is clearly a shit.
I don’t wish murder on anyone but, hey, he’s found a way to encourage it upon himself.

18 Likes

Anyone tempted to think of this as “good news” should consider this: if guards can’t or won’t protect a fellow law enforcement officer from prison violence then just imagine how little protection everyone else in prison has.

The American justice system is a disgrace.

32 Likes

Minnesota AG Keith Ellison commented to the StarTribune

Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison told the Star Tribune Friday night that he was notified that Chauvin had been stabbed but survived and was in stable condition.

“I am sad to hear that Derek Chauvin was the target of violence,” Ellison said. “He was duly convicted of his crimes and, like any incarcerated individual, he should be able to serve his sentence without fear of retaliation or violence.”

17 Likes

as much as citizens should be able to live their lives without fear of violence from law enforcement. but i guess we don’t have that now, do we?

10 Likes

As his victim should have been able to do as well.
The lack of sympathy is due directly to his being part of the problem.

20 Likes

I would just like to take this oportunity to wish Derek a speedy recovery so he may enjoy the rest of his sentence in good health.

8 Likes

Indeed. Are the prisoners wards of the state or not?

2 Likes