Derek Chauvin, cop who murdered George Floyd, sentenced to 22.5 years

Originally published at: Derek Chauvin, cop who murdered George Floyd, sentenced to 22.5 years | Boing Boing

15 Likes

So one bad cop down…

24 Likes

It’s not going to go well for him. It shouldn’t.

13 Likes

“Other information in the future”. What you talking bout Willis?!

4 Likes

Wow. I’m shocked. I thought he’d get only a few years. Well, good.

21 Likes

36 Likes

Yeah, what he means is, he’s going to continue asking fascist to spread stories that cast the man he murdered in a negative light.

He will also probably say that it’s cruel and unfair for a cop to be in prison

with criminals! Oh my stars and garters

To which I say, good, we need more cops behind bars anyway. Shoulda thought about that before you murdered someone.

25 Likes

Any noise from his police union on the sentence or are they distancing themselves from this one as a bridge too far?

1 Like

He’s got other charges coming and civil actions too. Anything he said today wouldn’t have helped him today, but could hurt him in future trials.

Another way of putting it: he’ll be out of jail in 15 years, but paying the Floyds forever.

27 Likes

If he survives the penal system, that is.

14 Likes

22 ½ years is a lot for a second degree (ie unintentional or unpremeditated) murder, especially first time around. 40 was the maximum and there was no way it was happening.

14 Likes

Why not? He was a cop. Aren’t we supposed to hold them to a higher standard of conduct and professionalism? Isn’t it asking for abuse not to make horrific examples of authority figures who abuse their power?

24 Likes

I’ll take it, but I’m not Black and will listen to that community’s response. I do hope that the additional federal charges keep him in prison until he’s an old man.

I’ll also note that, for all the concerns that media outlets have expressed over the verdict leading to rioting and violence from Black people, none have them have expressed any worries that a heavy verdict might lead to violence and terrorism from the many virulent white supremacists who’ve crawled out from under the paving stones in recent years. This happened in Brooklyn last night:

27 Likes

Because no-one ever gets the maximum sentence. Maximum sentences are theoretical in most states and if anything it’s generally irresponsible to report them at all.

I can’t remember what he said but the judge tacked on more time for the bad cop stuff. The sentencing guidelines for Chauvin had him at less than 22 1/2.

It’s a decent result, toward the stiffer end of the spectrum of likely results, as legal experts reported it.

20 Likes

That’s too bad. I guess we can make the best of a bad situation.

But seeing how he looked practically bored murdering Floyd, seemed very convincing to me that he shouldn’t ever be allowed to walk the streets for people’s safety.

11 Likes

Good.
0e3

15 Likes

Federal civil rights charges still to look forward to!

21 Likes

Yeah. At least it’s not one of those times where a cop shoots someone in their own house (wrong address), gets no charges, then the civil suit is denied because the judge doesn’t find fault with the officer’s conduct.

16 Likes

Chauvin’s life turns to shit. That’s what matters.

6 Likes

Tell that to everyone in prison for life for “Three Strikes” laws.

18 Likes