Derek Chauvin, cop who murdered George Floyd, sentenced to 22.5 years

Or for having a gram of weed chaff planted on them.

13 Likes

My understanding is that he’s going to be held in solitary confinement… for safety.

No comment.

3 Likes

I’ll say the quiet part out loud, then:

Solitary confinement is considered to be psychologically damaging to prisoners.

20 Likes

Given his apparent mindset “type”, the results should be interesting.

6 Likes

Not just psychologically damaging. I’ve seen reports that long-term solitary can cause vision to degenerate. Nothing further than a few feet away to focus on.

12 Likes

The guidelines called for a 12.5 year sentence. The judge added 10 years for his abuse of authority, and for committing murder in front of children.

18 Likes

where his suit matches the prison cell!

But he did. And then he doubled down, with help from his colleagues.

Back To The Future GIF

17 Likes

I would have sentenced him to 22 years, 9.5 minutes.

(Not mine, stolen from comments elsewhere)

4 Likes

“There’s gonna be some other information in the future that’s going to be of interest”

It’s not hard for me to imagine he tacked that on because it’s the kind of thing Trump always said, and Trump is his hero, so he tried doing what his hero did.

It’s that level of intelligence.

4 Likes

Good Night Mic Drop GIF by Pose FX

6 Likes

No, we are supposed to give him the benefit of the doubt that it was an honest mistake. /s

22.5 is a good damn long time. 30 would have been better, but I though for sure it would only be 5, or at the most < 10.

2 Likes

He’s likely going to be in solitary for the rest of his life since he’d be a target for the rest of the inmates. That’s just a guess but either way he’s not going to have an easy time

4 Likes

Adios a-hole, should’a been 222.5 years.

9 Likes

Ya know – the problem is that it’s going to go better for him than we expect. He won’t be put in gen-pop – it’s my understanding that cops who go to prison very rarely are. He’ll be protected – he’ll be treated like royalty by the Nazi gangs and the guards.

If we lived in a just society, none of this would be true, obviously.

2 Likes

Not necessarily, depending on where he gets sent there often times isn’t a better alternative to gen-pop beyond solitary. Which in an of itself can cause a person to go crazy from the lack of interaction with others, but this is speculation… we’ll just have to wait and see what happens when they send him to jail.

6 Likes

I tend to trend toward the hyper-pessimistic, but I still feel like it’s a better bet that he’ll get the Dan White treatment in jail…

Blue Line flags at half-mast today.

2 Likes

No doubt in a combined show of remorse at this senseless killing by one of their own./s

3 Likes

If by that you mean somebody will commit suicide on him in prison, probably. I can’t imagine he’s popular with other cops because of the trouble he’s caused, especially if he starts running his mouth.