Cop who unplugged his cam before killing a 19-year-old girl is rehired

I think young woman is appropriate in this case. Or any case. A 19 year old is a child in many ways, but also, in legal terms, an adult.

6 Likes

This whelp-on-whelp crime has to stop much less lethally. Issue and drill with cluster munitions. (I’m thinking paint in the drill loadout.)

Deliberate disabling of the body cam must be a criminal expense.

Any downtime on the camera must be punished by withholding pay. Officers can apply to have pay reinstated if they can prove there is a technical issue.

2 Likes

Worked for us kids in the military when I was in. If you don’t show up for work, you’re processed for an unauthorized absence even if you were in the hospital (your punishment reduced, but still recorded.) 30 days restriction to base typically. Works wonders. Unfortunately, this didn’t hold true for anyone who wasn’t junior enlisted. By the time you get for rank, you learn how to have people cover for you and work the system… Oh.

1 Like

Those are very good suggestions.

I was just thinking along the lines of a persistent warning buzzer. Or a repeating voice gently chiding “Your conscience is ajar.”

1 Like

Why do you think those ‘details’ are salient? Two cops had an excuse for breaking the law while both had their body-cams turned off? Because that’s what that paragraph looks like to me.

I feel like there needs to be body cam footage of every single arrest. If not, case dismissed. Also, the camera uploads automatically and continuously to an off-site location managed by non-police personnel. If the camera fails, the officer is expected to report immediately to the station where he will be issued a replacement.

I would think honest cops would be all for this. It would help kick-start the healing process between cops and the public that they are sworn to SERVE and PROTECT, instead of the adversarial relationship they have forced on us now. I worry more about the police in my city than I do the criminals, honest to god. I feel like there is a much higher risk to my life/person/freedom during a traffic stop or door-knock than walking through the sketchiest part of town.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.