Cops arrest public defender who was representing her client, face no discipline

Pension fund. I like that idea. The only downside is that generally people don’t value retirement dollars as they do present dollars.

I’d still like to see a police misconduct prevention fund; set aside the average annual amount paid out in misconduct and brutality cases, then give shares in the fund to every police officer. Pay out misconduct settlements from that fund, pay anything left over to police officers as an annual bonus. Make sure everyone knows who caused their bonus to go down,many I’m sure you’d see a drop in misconduct.

9 Likes

You might, or you might see more of the behavior where the desk Sargent (is there really such a thing?) is sure to discourage/make impossible the filing of any reports of misconduct. You have to be wary of perverse incentives.

2 Likes

Also not a bad idea.

Kudos.

WAR ON COPS! BLUE LIVES MATTER! BLUH! BLUH! THEY WERE ASKING FOR IT FOR BEING IN COURT!

Thank god it’s my Friday and I can drink whiskey and watch cartoons until I forget where I live. Also, I hope these cops spend the rest of their short sad lives in fear that someone’s going to recognize their faces.

2 Likes

True, but those perverse incentives already exist. The only way any complaint system works is if it is independent and under civilian control.

3 Likes

Takes more than that, though. The finding in the OP that has no consequences comes from a civilian review board. One of the problems is the police unions, who seek to insulate officers from consequences of any sort, ever. Advocacy is understandable, but the union contracts often give cops rights civilians don’t have. That needs to stop.

2 Likes

Agreed, civilian review without the ability to punish is meaningless. And a prosecutors police misconduct office that is not independent from the rest of the DA is similarly feckless.

4 Likes

In “The Gulag Archipelago” there is a story of how the KGB would give you extra charges just for saying you were innocent-- the KGB is always right, so to say they made a mistake was counter-revolutionary agitation.

3 Likes

So he said he would arrest her and she calmly said “please do”. Somehow I think they’re going to have a hard time getting that resisting arrest charge to stick.

5 Likes

Please tell me a civil lawsuit is pending?

1 Like

Probably not enough recoverable damages to make the suit worth the uphill battle.

I was more talking about forcing it to be a campaign issue for the elected officials who have the power to fire these guys. Maybe even make it a campaign issue for the DA who decided not to prosecute them for false arrest.

Enforce responsibly, or be outed for being what you are: an asshat.

Depending on the issue she was preserving, injunctive relief may help more. And attorney fees may be an option.

1 Like

It’s time to consider the fact that these dangerous thugs are taking over our streets and the only option if you see them on your block might be to shoot them on sight.

1 Like

Yes, hopefully at commercial attorney rates and not at public defender rates.

1 Like

Abolished.

Military officers do not bargain collectively.

Bargaining collectively with law enforcement “officers” makes no more sense.

The only rationale for organizing LEO’s like janitors is if the public is to be treated like trash.

1 Like

Cant Tilotson sue for false arrest?

What’s the difference?

Oh yeah, impunity.

2 Likes

I know you’re being sarcastic, but I’ve met people who literally thought this way, including my dear old grandmother.

2 Likes