Cops caught on video stealing $6,000 from a New York woman

Originally published at: Cops caught on video stealing $6,000 from a New York woman | Boing Boing

12 Likes

Brutal. Who says crime doesn’t pay, right?

10 Likes

Suspended with full pay?

8 Likes

Hopefully the cops don’t get the video footage thrown out in the inevitable court case claiming that they didn’t consent to being recorded. They’re almost certainly going to try, but hopefully the judge smacks down that argument.

7 Likes

And of course because Grandberry was a parolee the relevant police department is standing by the old chestnut that they take the word of their parole officers over that of the parolee. There’s a criminal investigation being done by the state, but I’d be very surprised if it amounts to anything. Meanwhile, only the female officer depicted has been suspended without pay, the ‘unidentified’ male officer seems to be getting away with his crime.

8 Likes

Also, let’s note that this isn’t a criminal investigation. They aren’t searching a suspect’s house or anything. This is someone on parole. All they’re supposed to be doing is making sure this person is on the straight and narrow. This is a person to whom they owe a duty.

(And if you’re thinking “what kind of straight-and-narrow involves $6k in cash in the closet,” well, I’d wonder the same thing. But of course there are perfectly legitimate reasons, and apparently one of those answers applies in this case because these cops didn’t report the parolee, just stole from her.)

16 Likes

It can be hard to get a bank account if you’re a parolee. And if your life is fraught with potential trouble, keeping some cash handy can be very useful.

22 Likes

Does that apply to security footage in a home? I’d think every burglar would use that defense otherwise.

Also, ACAB.

7 Likes

It’s somewhat important to point out that the woman states the money was hers and she isn’t the parolee. Her boyfriend is the parolee, and a gun, cannabis and a scale were also found, for which he’s been returned to incarceration. It’s entirely possible the money also belonged to her boyfriend, and again that’s a case where the police are less likely to take the word of the suspect, and unfortunately with cash it’s real hard to prove ownership.

6 Likes

But we can know for sure that it didn’t belong to the police. They could have been holding it for Santa, the police still had no business taking it for themselves. If they had entered it into evidence that would be a different issue.

12 Likes

It’s been a while, but I believe it was forensic scientist Bill Bass who wrote that it’s typical for first responders (which, I assume, includes cops) to rob the dead. Money, jewels, whatever looks expensive.

As far as the living, about 30 years ago my mom told me that she was robbed by a cop while driving from NYC to Pennsylvania. A New Jersey state highway patrolman stopped her and simply told her that if she didn’t give him 20 bucks, he’d give her a ticket for… whatever. Know that my mom is as tough as railroad spikes and has never taken crap from anyone. Once, when visiting a cousin in the Bushwick section of Brooklyn, we were approached on the street by a dope dealer who got treated to one of my mom’s sneering bon mot bombs: “Why don’t you sell some to your mother?” The dude backed off. Me? I would have simply said, “No thanks.” But as far as that cop, she told me she was frightened out of her wits and thought it best to just hand over the $20 just to get away from the creep. Cops, man.

12 Likes

Cash is not a crime, and every insinuation that cash of any amount is suspicious merely perpetuates the stereotype.

18 Likes

It always seems that cops are never forced to pay for their crimes… yet people who have paid for their crimes, have to keep paying.

Cops prey on the weak and vulnerable.

12 Likes

They feel entitled. “So, what that he pays taxes that keep me employed. I’m putting out his fire!”

Sure would be unfortunate if somebody kept a few liquor bottles filled with turpentine in their basement.

Crassus, possibly the wealthiest person who has ever lived, built much of his wealth on the back of providing ancient Rome’s only fire brigade. While the building burned he had reps negotiating with the owner to buy the burning building, only putting out the fire once the transfer was agreed.

2 Likes

They also get the courtesy of not being named as suspects when something like this happens:

7 Likes

Tell that to all the police departments which grab cash and other assets under “civil forfeiture” laws, assuming, without proof, the assets are ill-gotten gain. They can take what they want without due process. This is how some PDs acquire Corvette, Wildcat, and Lamborghini “squad cars.” :expressionless:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.