Cops kill Portland shooting suspect during arrest

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/04/cops-kill-portland-shooting-su.html

6 Likes

I don’t suppose there’s any body cam footage of this failed arrest attempt, huh?

34 Likes

“Initial reports indicate the suspect produced a firearm, threatening the lives of law enforcement officers. Task force members responded to the threat and struck the suspect who was pronounced dead at the scene.”

“As they attempted to apprehend him, there was gunfire,” Brady told the Times, adding that four officer fired their weapons.

“Initial reports…” “… there was gunfire…”. It sure is interesting how little is clear about what, exactly, the dead man did to get fusiladed by police.

30 Likes

From the linked article:

He had not turned himself in, he said, because he believed right-wing protesters were collaborating with police, who will not protect him or his family.
Looks like that he was right.

33 Likes

Shall we put down “Suicide in cell” or “Shot while escaping”?
-Capt Renault

23 Likes

At least the police spent a few days gathering facts before shooting him.

5 Likes

Given that the gunfire occurred in the passive voice and without attribution I’m assuming that it wasn’t the suspect’s gunfire.

You know that if it had been his it would have been presented in a menacing and active sort of way.

28 Likes

19 Likes

Ohhhh boy, you used the P-word! You’re right that it occurred without attribution, but it’s not passive.

Strunk and White’s greatest crime (of many) was utterly failing at teaching people what the passive voice is.

</screed>

4 Likes

The opposite of this.

ezgif-4-22598e2652d0

14 Likes

Well, at least they didn’t try to claim that he barricaded himself inside and shot himself in the back 30 times…

18 Likes

None of this ever had to happen.

Divisive tactics employed by trump kill.

18 Likes

The killings, too, are intended as a divisive tactic.

12 Likes

“They’re out hunting me,” he said. “There’s nightly posts of the hunt and where they’re going to be hunting. They made a post saying the deer are going to feel lucky this year because it’s open season on Michael right now.”

7 Likes

But it’s also on the PPB and the mayor. PPB waved through the Hate Tourist caravan instead of redirecting them away from the inevitable conflict. Wheeler could have ended the protests long ago by committing to police defunding, but he’s too weak willed. Both have this blood on their hands.

15 Likes

I’m also concerned by the term “struck”. Every possible interpretation of that word choice is grim.

3 Likes

"Brady told the Associated Press that the officers who fired included two Pierce County Sheriff’s deputies, an officer from the Lakewood Police Department and an officer from the Washington State Department of Corrections. "

So that makes four body cameras, of which one had the battery exhausted, the 2nd had no memory left for recording, the 3rd was damaged by an object thrown by an evil protester, and the remaining one had both lens and microphone obstructed after a flock of communist pigeons crapped over the officer, riiiight?

6 Likes

Vice Magazine says that he was killed in an “encounter” with officers. I wonder if they know that in India and Pakistan, the word ‘encounter’ has the special meaning of a planned extrajudicial killing by police.

I wouldn’t say that that’s necessarily what happened here. I do wonder, however, if Reinoehl – confronted by a ‘task force’ of men in camouflage and ‘tactical’ accessories – might have had legitimate reason to wonder whether he was being arrested by the cops, or dry-gulched by the fash. It’s pretty much impossible these days to tell your average hyper-militarized Officer Friendly from a gun-fondling 3-Percenter, and they probably didn’t give him a lot of time to make up his mind. Or he might have just figured that they were all on the same team anyway, so it didn’t make much difference who they were.

23 Likes

We’re puttin’ the band back together!

8 Likes

So Trump express outrage at this… but suggests Kyle Rittenhouse was acting in self defense?

5 Likes