Copyright trolls Rightscorp are teetering on the verge of bankruptcy

[Read the post]

2 Likes

Couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch of guys.

17 Likes

You took the words right out of my… keyboard.

6 Likes

Who says there’s never any good news in the news?

6 Likes
8 Likes

The company had tried a controversial – and illegal – expansion into Canada and other countries. It seems now that they’ll be spared, unless Rightscorp’s investors can be persuaded to part with $1M.

I smell a KICKSTARTER!

2 Likes

Cue the sad trombone!

Don’t be worried, everybody. I am almost certain the owners will not be going hungry.

1 Like

Christ, what a bunch of assholes.

1 Like

PBS stations manage to stay afloat with pledge drives, and all they have to work with is 70s Doctor Who and Lawrence Welk. These ringpieces own the rights to all human culture, so they should be able to clean up.

Christ, late stage capitalism!

There isn’t a violin small enough for this.

5 Likes

Other settlement trollies are active in Canada.

A family friend that I do occasional tech support for received about 30 copyright notices this week, forwarded from his ISP under Canada’s Notice on Notice regime. The one he forwarded me originates with Vobile Inc. in California, on behalf of Viacom.

He’s a senior citizen in his late 80s living in a retirement home. He has just the one PC connected to his cable modem, and no WiFi. There’s absolutely no possibility that he was downloading “The Shannara Chronicles” with BitTorrent in the middle of the night as the notice claims. He hadn’t heard of either.

Canada’s Notice on Notice system no doubt limits RightsCorp / Prenda / Voltage Pictures style shakedowns. But seniors are lucrative targets for fraud.

I’ve advised him not to contact Vobile. I emailed his ISP on his behalf, and they sent back a standardized form giving the distinct impression that they want nothing to do with it. They’ll only hand over his information to the trollies if they get a court order.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.