Corporations influence politics, but not in the way you think you do

FTFY…

1 Like

Sooo…I was writing a post about how churches do this, unions do this, PTAs do this, every interest group does this, and why should we get up in arms about how corporations do this…and then I read this in one of the linked sources:

However, Citizens United also makes it legal for corporate managers to campaign for their preferred political candidates in the workplace. Businesses can even go so far as to mandate that their workers participate in politics in certain ways – such as attending a rally for a favored politician. That happened during the 2012 election, when an Ohio coal mine required its workers to attend a rally for Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney. Miners were not paid for their time, but some said they were afraid they could lose their jobs if they did not participate in the rally.

I had my doubts that this was true and looked around for verification. I ran across this quote from the mine’s CFO.

"There were no workers that were forced to attend the event,” said Moore. “We had managers that communicated to our work force that the attendance at the Romney event was mandatory, but no one was forced to attend the event."

Amazing.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.