Microsoft employees want to starve its PAC, which keeps giving money to homophobic, racist, climate-denying Republicans

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/25/business-friendly-bigots.html

5 Likes

Good.

Cory, you ever thought about becoming a rapper?

Put a beat to it:

CITIZENS UNITED / LGBTQ / MICROS~ / MICROSOFT / MSPAC / REALITY HAS A WELL-KNOWN LEFT-WING BIAS / ROY MOORE REPUBLICANS / TECH WORKER UPRISING / TURKEYS VOTING FOR CHRISTMAS

6 Likes

I don’t understand why any employee would ever trust their employer to represent their political opinions. Corporations are people too, and their interests are not anyone’s but their own.

17 Likes

including Mitch McConnell, who reliably vote for homophobic, climate-denying and racist policies

So, I think the way things are supposed to work is that I, and my fellow Americans, vote for a candidate that most closely represent the values that I want turned into law. There is going to be part of the country, or state, that vote for someone that believes that somethings that your don’t agree with are OK.

BUT, the number of people representing us should be a reflection of the number of people that believe something should or shouldn’t be law. So, if I vote for someone that says they will make some crazy thing a law but he is the only one that believes it and the rest of the country doesn’t think it should be a law then that law maker will not have the votes to make that a law, which makes sense, the country doesn’t want it.

The really big problem with McConnell is that he blocks votes where enough lawmakers, and their constituents want that vote to pass.

He is a coward and an obstructionist as well as a racist, climate change denying, homophobic, asshole.

8 Likes

3 Likes

Many corporations require donations to their PAC before they will match an employee’s charitable contributions. Employee donates to the PAC and the corporation donates an equal amount to the employee’s designated charity. It sucks.

4 Likes

I… just… wow. So glad I don’t work in corporate America.

4 Likes

I’ve never heard of this before. Do you have any citations for this?

And fuck corporate PACs. Their interests intersect with the company, not the employees. Why anybody would ever give their money to a corporate PAC is a mystery to me.

5 Likes

The corporations typically sell the idea to employees by implying that their jobs are on the line if the company can’t raise the cash to influence politicians. At least that’s the sales pitch I was given.

4 Likes

I don’t have any links - just second hand personal experience.

When I found out my employer would match my contributions to my church, I spread the word. The PAC requirement is what I heard about from most friends who looked into it.

My employer doesn’t have this arrangement.

Sent on my Samsung Galaxy S7.

1 Like

I used to work for a Virginia-based, US-wide, huge, wall-gardened ISP of the late 90s that had their own PAC. They heavily tried to get us employees to donate to it. I could never, in my mind, figure out why I would do that with some percentage of my salary. It was a this-does-not-compute kind of thing.

I don’t recall that there was any matching for other charitable contributions, but still, it was my first encounter with an employer PAC.

On a related topic/question, is there a way to easily find out if a given company has their own PAC, whether they solicit from employees or otherwise?

2 Likes

How can this be, Mr. Softee’s backing of homophobes, racists, Republicans, etc., when Bill G is single-handedly saving sub-Saharan Africa??

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.