CORRECTED: Stoned-looking guy offers startling facts about marijuana and violence towards kids

Sounds like hemp is scary, but after all it’s only 40%.

100% of those child murderers – in fact, all murderers including the headline mass killers – are addicted to DHMO.

4 Likes

“So if I understand math correctly, that means trying cannabis once makes it 40% likely you’ll murder a child?”
“Uh, sure, that checks out.”

5 Likes

17 Likes

Exactly. It’s like the b.s. study that proved cannabis was a “gateway drug.” Let’s ask a bunch of heroin users if they tried cannabis before heroin. Lo and behold, almost all did! Cannabis use leads to heroin use.
Let’s ask a bunch of heroin users if they ever ate pizza before they tried heroin. Lo and behold! There is no end to the things we can link.
The real question would be what percentage of all the people who ever used cannabis went on to try heroin. Or murder children, if that’s your thing. I’m guessing it’s pretty tiny.
We might really get their goats if we tried to study the link between shooting someone and owning a gun. Turns out almost 100% of people who shoot other people are gun owners!!!Why is the link between guns and violence not reported?

8 Likes

I first misread this as “racation,” as in racism-vacation.

4 Likes

I’d like to see the stats linking any crime with alcohol consumption. Bet you’d get close to 100%. Alcohol consumption causes crime! Ban all alcohol! Oh wait, we tried that. And it worked about as well as marijuana prohibition has worked.

9 Likes

There aren’t enough likes in the world for this. Also, depending on how you define a “user” it might be more like 55%. It’s entirely possible that 40% of child murderers are “cannibis users” and that using cannibis casually decreases your likelihood to murder children.

6 Likes

So… you’re new around here?

1 Like

To be fair, back when I smoked weed I would often get high and get the uncontrollable urge to go out and kill some kids. Or wait, maybe it was to go out and get a ton of snacks. So hard to remember…

5 Likes

DHMO users are also known to be chronic masticatiors. DHMO is leading the country into moral decline!

3 Likes

Yeah, about that. You probably don’t want to see those. Alcohol actually is correlated with violence.

https://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/violence/world_report/factsheets/fs_intimate.pdf

3 Likes

90% of the people that commit mass shootings watch Fox News.

6 Likes

60% of child murderers refrained from smoking marijuana. Sounds like not smoking it is a bigger indicator for child murdering than smoking given the numbers.

6 Likes

Saw the correction, still very unimpressed. Still implying a causal link between using the drug and being abusive based on statistics that don’t support a causal link. The isolated number is incredibly uninformative and misleading without context. This thread is full of examples of why. None of those question the number, but instead question the junk math you’d have to do to react strongly to that number.

Side note: Based on those stats, only about one in seven people who abuse or neglect children have ever used alcohol?!? I’d like to know what those stats actually mean, because apparently they don’t mean what they seem to mean.

7 Likes

Can anyone find a link to the original article the guy is referencing?

What percentage of people who don’t murder children are cannabis users…

3 Likes

Cool. Now do one about the % of mass shooters who are legal gun owners.

7 Likes

Yeah, you’d expect that alcohol would, as the most accessible drug, be number one in correlation. (By which I mean: there’s no fucking way alcohol wasn’t number one.) That it’s so low indicates some fuckery in the way Florida, Texas and Arizona collect this data. Which isn’t surprising, given the states involved, really…

I’d expect the “past use” numbers to be skewed - they’re going to be recording illegal drug use more than legal drug use, after all. A similar prejudice might be involved with the current drug use stat. I remember a case where some teenagers crashed, with a lot of emphasis being put on how the driver had smoked some marijuana, causing a bit of a crusade to take down the local weed dealers. Everyone ignored that he also had a blood alcohol that was a multiple of the legal limit, which was more than enough to have caused the accident (and, given subsequent scholarship, the pot had probably improved his driving…).

4 Likes

And water, every one of the bastards drinks water every day! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I don’t use marijuana these days. But, as a parent who has used marijuana, I suspect that it might help. Pot slows down your reactions. In my experience, it gave me a bit of a time delay between stimuli and my response. I could more readily choose how I responded. And typically my response ranged from, at the most negative, “Yeah, like whatever, man” to, on the positive end, “Wow, ok!”

Maybe I had ingested too many stereotypes prior to the weed.

But generally speaking, I think it would be easier to handle three tired, agitated, short-tempered, brief attention-spanned howling loinfruit with a nice toot from the dugout. I say that with love.

Edit: I had to move a comma and provide one more paragraph break. Like, whatever, man.

5 Likes