CORRECTED: Stoned-looking guy offers startling facts about marijuana and violence towards kids

The data looks highly questionable to me, and one page of this report does not at all provide any context. However, he was citing his sources, even if they are flawed, so the correction was due.

bb probably could have done a little more to look into the underlying Texas data and call this guy out on his hypothesis of a causal link, which he implied, but the data does not likely verify.

2 Likes

The back half, obviously. We’re all women from behind. Didn’t everyone learn that as a kid?

So, it helped with issues of impulsivity? That’s another way to view it.

3 Likes

Another bedbug.

RELIABLE SOURCES

5 Likes

Sounds to me like teetotalers are significantly more likely to kill children…

4 Likes

I was all set to tweet a pithy tweet at him that that statement made no coherent sense, but then I listened to it myself and he actually says

…cannabis use accounts — people who use cannabis, I should say — account for about one third to 40%…

Not to prop this guy up, his stats are completely disingenuous and ignore the base rate, but at least it’s properly referring to cannabis users, not cannabis itself, and says a third to 40%.

Now I feel dumb for having to defend this guy’s words, but let’s laugh at the misuse of science and statistics instead of fake news.

3 Likes

Yeah, he was betrayed by the closed captioning (that’s where I got my version) but…he deserved it.

1 Like

So that’s why both genders have nipples on their butts?

1 Like

“Did u know that 40% of people that murder children, are Cannabis users”

I kind of buy it that Harvard and Yale “legacies” have smoked pot.

1 Like

This guy gets it.

“I say we let him go…”

So… 60% of people who murder children DON’T use cannabis? Therefore not using cannabis makes you more likely to murder children. Ban not using cannabis!

5 Likes

For what it is worth, I found the report (or a slightly different version; it isn’t quite identical but has the same name and is from the same website…) here:

and we can see that these counts include neglect as a significant proportion of the total. I would suspect that there is a lot of “go so high that we didn’t notice that the baby fell in the pool” variety of stuff in these numbers.

I think that the key fact is that people who kill kids are abnormal in a lot of ways. (The report says that Texas has a high rate at 2.78/100,000. I’m not sure that the adult murder rate has ever been that low.) Why would we expect an extremely weird subgroup to predict things about the general population?

2 Likes

I wasn’t taking the topic particularly seriously, but since a lot of people are: I’d like to see a lot more on the data set before I tried to draw a conclusion. (Then again, I’m not a professional fearmonger.)

Here are some questions I’d ask at the start: Are these poor parents? If so, how does social class correlate to marijuana use in this particular area or sample? Did we control for under-reporting of abuse and neglect by more wealthy/powerful parents? Did we code for ethnicity in the data set? If so, is there a correlation between reporting and ethnicity? Between ethnicity and marijuana use?

I’m not sure those questions are even a good start. There may be much more to be asked. Anyway, my point all boils down to the earlier Morpheus meme’s point.

2 Likes

Tucker Carlson, allowed back on the air after a cooling off period (for us to forget about his bizarre evocation of neo nazi stadium rallies), still aligned with the goal of keeping Trump in power at all costs, blows a 60-85 year old dog whistle… the exotic, dangerous and unknown destroyer of societies and promoter of race mixing, marijuana.

If we had a democratic president now cozying up to Putin, this is all Fox would be talking about. Weed is the current substitute. Roy Cohn would be proud.

1 Like

Yeah, all of that and more. The crazy thing is that 55% of Americans have used cannabis so while the number of current users in that data seems higher than population, the number of people who have ever used it is lower than the population.

I mean, you’d have to be a lunatic to argue that cannabis is more likely to lead to child abuse than meth or PCP (have you ever been around someone on PCP?). So the reason why there are so many fewer people who abused their children while on PCP is because few people use PCP. There probably is a real relationship between drug abuse and child abuse/neglect (especially neglect), but that chart is just like a chart of the most popular drugs in America, bizarrely miscounting alcohol.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.