Corrections, typos, grammar flubs and errors

But doesn’t it force one to choose a non “Boing” category?

Not really. If you simply ignore the category setting, don’t fool with it at all, it will remain in the “boingboing” category. At least, that’s how it’s worked for me.

1 Like

Yep, worked!
Thanks
Edit:

4 Likes

in blog view this post leaves an open italic tag at the beginning of the Dante quote.

caught a small one

should be “defies” rather than “defines.”

1 Like

Perhaps somewhat off-topic, but I’m going to go there anyway…

Can one of you web-savvy people explain to me, in way that I can reproduce, how Discourse does that spoiler-blurring thing? I tried to look at the css and it makes my eyes bleed.

1 Like

use the spoiler tag

2 Likes

surround the text with spoiler tags

2 Likes

No, no. I know how to use it. I meant the web programming techniques behind it. I found a jquery plugin, but I don’t understand how it works either.

oh, sorry (∘=̴⃙̀˘︷˘=̴⃙́∘)

this is Rob’s thread, you should probably summon @sam , i think he wrote that bit.

there used to be a design thread for this question, but it got locked.

It looks like it’s adding a really diffused text-shadow, and then hiding the actual text so that all you see is the (blurry) shadow.

3 Likes

all the code is here: GitHub - discourse/discourse-spoiler-alert: A plugin for discourse to hide spoilers behind the spoiler-alert jQuery plugin I did not write it though, it was mostly @eviltrout and @zogstrip

6 Likes

The core of the blurring is indeed in the spoiler.js file.

There are 3 types of blur

• For text, we change both background-color and color to a transparent value and then use text-shadow to blur the text.
  • For links, we use the CSS blur filter since text-shadow doesn’t work that well for links.
  • For images, we wrap them with a SVG that is using the feGaussianBlur because it uses the GPU and is the most efficient across all browsers and platforms.
4 Likes

should read “smartwatch” not phone.

also, lol:

Discourse confirms my gadfly status.

5 Likes

@beschizza Ohhh, that Kobe Byrant?

1 Like

@frauenfelder

One afternoon in 1954 Ann Hodges of Alabama was napping on her
couch when a meteorite the size of a software came through the ceiling

“meteorite the size of a software”

I’m certain you meant “softball.”

3 Likes

still just me using this thread? OK!

no BBS page for this post

4 Likes

Wonder if this has something to do with confusion between @frauenfelder and @markfrauenfelder?

3 Likes

same error again, but this time for @AndreaJames ’ post. No BBS page loads for me. The link to comments has no number tally, clicking the link reloads the permalink boingboing.net page.

2 Likes

Thanks. Now I can stop flagging posts when I see this (which always feels awkward to me). I didn’t even realize this thread existed.

ETA Also shouldn’t this be in #boing?

ETA 2 Also any way to sticky this post so it’s easier to find?