Costco now selling prepper food buckets for the imminent apocalypse

I sometimes look at these buckets as something that would have worked really well for me back in college for having regular quick meals to eat rather than the grocery shopping I did once a month (I got paid monthly at my uni student job) - for a week or so I had better and fresher food but by end of month I was scrabbling along on rice, diced hotdogs, and maybe something out of a can if I still had some around.

8 Likes

One of my biggest concerns about being in a disaster type of situation is making sure that my spouse and I are not a burden to others who are going through the same thing. We don’t want to take food or water from others who need it so we have “go bags” packed with supplies, food and water in the event of an emergency.

7 Likes

But who can tell me about long term storage of tea and coffee?

Seriously though, I have food for a month, any longer than that and I am, well, I think the medical term is fucked.

I’m in the UK though, and the worst any of my family have had to deal with is about a week (the Carlisle 2005 and 2015 floods)

12 Likes

When SLC was threatened by wildfires, I asked a relative who lives there, if he’d got his escape route planned? He replied that their Mormon neighbours had got it all sorted.

8 Likes

Blimey, I didn’t realize it was grim down south. Stay safe.

6 Likes

It’s especially grim in places that used to be tourist/beach towns, and depended on that income.

7 Likes

I recommend tea bricks, already aged. I have enough tea for about a month, then I am scavenging.

7 Likes

@smulder already acknowledged with a linked article, this stuff is very useful for caring for homeless people.

[That was when it struck me: homeless people are not awaiting the eventual collapse of society. Homeless people are people for whom society already collapsed. I don’t think it will permanently collapse for the preppers in the way they fantasize about. But that worst case scenario is already real for the homeless.

It’s horrifying to remember that we live in a society where well-to-do people can stockpile all these supplies for the collapse of civilization– and meanwhile, there are people who live in civilization’s collapse every day of their lives, without help.]

9 Likes

You would not believe the deprivation. For example, my Amazon subscription for Campari has been cut off because of low supplies.

6 Likes

Campari? Do you live near Luton Airport?

5 Likes

There is always Aperol

6 Likes

source

5 Likes

Yeah, but do you want to live in a society where you have to substitute Campari with Aperol? That is a society that has collapsed.

The other way round is easy of course: if you for some reason wanted Aperol but only had Campari in the house: add 1 drop of Campari to a litre of syrup to get a sickly sweet drink

10 Likes

I’m going to try it before recommending it, but Carpano Botanic Bitter looks promising.

7 Likes

Which actually reminds me, I bought a bottle of this Organic Botanical Spirit – Nc'nean Distillery, I met them at a beer festival oddly enough, and it makes a mean negroni, I’ll see if Carpano will improve it.

The same beer festival where I saw this:

Boy have we derailed this thread…

5 Likes

Well, it is about the imminent apocalypse, so…

6 Likes

Agreed, let’s focus on more pleasant things.

4 Likes

Wait, the imminent apocalypse is a bad thing now?

8 Likes

One guy I used to follow during my ‘gun nut’ phase did just that- he and his partner weren’t mormon, but they have friends that are and that church had days where people could come in and use their industrial packaging equipment, IIRC. (the blog posts where he mentioned this are gone off the internet, although the person in question has a normal blog where he posts about such things.)

From the same guy, I got the impressions that the costco buckets are… not enough for what they are advertised for, and require supplemental food, like meats, and the portion sizes are not enough to provide 2000 calories per person per day. his blog is at least good reading for at least empirical advice on how to set up for disaster scenarios.

Edit: Serves me right for not reading through the entire damn thread before posting. Carry on!

6 Likes

There is a real difference between preparing for a disaster like an earthquake or storm and yearning for TEOTWAWKI.

TEOTWAWKI = The End Of The World As We Know It, a crazy fantasy Mad Max world filled with guns, mooks, that you can shoot with no guilt, and the sweet, sweet taste of “I told you so.” The prepper in this fantasy gets to be a hero instead of just another schmo.

4 Likes