Costco now selling prepper food buckets for the imminent apocalypse

Most of this thread is about the practical uses of “prepper” supplies and the value of preparing for real emergencies.

5 Likes

When SHTF, the people with guns will be looking for the people with can openers. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

The Israeli Galil rifle has a built-in bottle opener.

7 Likes

There’s always those credit card-sized everything tools. I’m sure they could open at least one can before self-destructing.

6 Likes
6 Likes

Are these tools cheap and disposable?

Actually It is a silver lining.

5 Likes

$11-20. Disposable depends on how long they last. (If I didn’t have a can opener, I’d use the leatherman knock-off in my glovebox. I’m sure it could open a can one way or another.)

6 Likes

Japan has a high level of disaster preparedness. It’s a whole community effort led by government. Local school and community halls are marked as rallying points. All households are expected to maintain a minimum level of supplies. There’s no law but they do. I remember my wife stocking up on tins of bottled water when we lived there. Office workers keep hard hats under their desks. Schoolchildren are trained in earthquake survival drills. We could learn a lot from those efforts.

7 Likes

logo

7 Likes

duck and cover documentary GIF by Kino Lorber

6 Likes

Me, on any article, reads the heard line and then turns immediately to comment section, “GERONIMO!!!”

4 Likes

Aren’t all rifles can-openers: depending on their magazine capacity?

4 Likes

I’ve used the one on mine for lunches at work when I couldn’t find the can opener that was in the break room. It’s… functional, but slow, and requires some effort. I bought a proper can opener and I keep it with a stash of other food-related materials in my cubicle.

Only if you don’t want to eat the contents of the can after ‘opening’ it. /silly

4 Likes

If you’re careful, and don’t mind that everything ends up purée, even the spam.

3 Likes

Uh, the buckets. These seem like they might work for a large group of people, but for one, or just two, it’s really impractical to have to open your massive, single product bucket and then have to eat it all.

2 Likes

Seriously, all you need is a bit of cement…

3 Likes

Cool! :sunglasses::+1:

2 Likes

Yes! Everyone that can should have 72 hours of water and simple foods to take the load off stressed disaster response systems.

And it’s not really difficult or expensive; buy one item extra every week, put it into Zombie Apocalypse stores. Rotate one thing out every time something goes in.

Don’t forget your pets. Especially if they’re large enough to consider you “rations”.

6 Likes

Can :crazy_face: confirm. I’ve seen those big restaurant-sized cans of ketchup and sauerkraut shot with a NATO 7.62mm round and a .50 cal round.

The former spread the content of the can everywhere. The latter spread the contents AND the can everywhere.

5 Likes

Watched The Atomic Cafe one night w/a punk band w/whom I used to hang. After it was over, I went along upstairs for their practice, and they played “Duck and Cover.” They performed it at a few gigs, and spotting those in the crowd who were hip to it was V easy tophat-biggrin

4 Likes