Doomsday Preppers are now selling timeshares, too

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/11/doomsday-preppers-are-now-sell.html

4 Likes

I hope they’ve got some bulletproof glass and personal armour. Guest number 51 or 501 is not going to take ‘sorry, we’re full’ very well.

Also, how the fuq this real and not an Onion article!!?!?

18 Likes

True, but you’re gonna have to pay in Mercury dimes.

14 Likes

Still better than sub Romanian orphanage level gruel Jim Bakker tried to pawn off on doomsday preppers.
I believe the WHO declared donating them to the poor and unfortunate in other countries constitutes a war crime.

13 Likes

Is the kitchen stocked?

At 6k a pop, not so cheap.

12 Likes

If shit hits the fan, I don’t think they will wait for anyone: First come first served.

“Oh you have a membership card and your whole family? Yeah… I’m not opening that door. My cat doesn’t like strangers.”

10 Likes

It could make a bit of sense. There might be a lot of attrition among the people trying to get the hell out of Dodge to this place.

Still… What’s their long game plan? Without that, this is just a place to die, deteriorate into a feudal village, or eventually be gobbled up by the New Order. (What about doctors, dentists, machinists, blacksmiths… [add long list] Did they remember to bring robotic serfs?)

8 Likes

Can I learn how to zombie compost as well?

6 Likes

I love how these Internet Tough Guys think they’re going to do any better at surviving the collapse of civilization than any other random bunch of schlubs with weapons.

12 Likes

Most doomsday preppers don’t seem to be mutual aid types. Someone might be the “Joseph Stalin was a liberal hippy” type though.

19 Likes

Observing a community of them, trying to get along, would be interesting.

14 Likes

The more this gets normalized, the more people seem to look forward to it. I work with people who are starting to get on this “them vs. us showdown” train.

I’d like to think people would initially band together to share food supplies with town/city dwellers, but I have a feeling it would decline quickly to Wild West outlaws holding up the stagecoaches, and massive stockpiling insanity.

Reading one of the Auschwitz survivor stories this week about literally not stealing snowflakes off a sleeping friend makes me sad that we probably won’t be this kind to each other. Probably because the enemy IS us.

17 Likes

The most important use for composted zombies-Z Weed.

4 Likes

World War Z (the novel) had a name for the loner types.

LAMOE’s (Pronounced Lay-Moes).
Last Man on Earth types who were always more trouble than they were worth.

15 Likes

Nice of them to decide that the National Park is going to be their private hunting ground when SHTF. I’m sure all the people who’ve been living in the area for generations will be fine with that.

11 Likes

So this dude thinks that people are going to have all this free time to build walls in a survival situation? Like all the gardening, hunting and fishing will be wrapped up in no time leaving the afternoon free for wall-building.

18 Likes

What’s a little magical thinking frosting, once you’ve already committed to the magical thinking cake?

19 Likes

Planning for survival is important business, but there’s always time for an unnecessary swipe at a left coast Gomorrah…

9 Likes

Who will probably have better chances at survival given the concentration of resources, people and skills in urban environments.

15 Likes

Dibs on the names Doombnb, Nukebnb, and AsteroidImpactbnb.

12 Likes