Doomsday Preppers are now selling timeshares, too

Is the time slot beginning Nov. 3, 2020 available?

9 Likes

Smart marketing.

Selling doomsday bunkers to the “end of the world” types is a good little business, but it’s expensive- they tend to want lots of facilities and preparations before they’ll part with their cash. These guys have worked out that you can prepare one bunker, but sell it to lots of people. If the end of the world doesn’t happen, then they’ll never know, and if it does- well, that’s not exactly your problem any more.

12 Likes

He wants to break-in his new serfs from the start.

6 Likes

As a time share - If there’s an actual emergency do they kick you out after your ten days are up?

11 Likes

Yes, but you can come back next month, and their loyalty scheme is to die for.

11 Likes

There’s a huge anxiety ridden portion of my brain that loves prepping. The problem with doomsday prepping is the people it tends to attract. If the world ends and I’m stuck between a bunch of bible thumpers and a bunch of dudes who read Atlas Shrugged and just ran with it, I’ll probably join the zombie hordes.

That and the number one doomsday scenario we should be prepping for, climate change and the disasters that will come with it, is the one thing these dudes don’t even believe in! (Although they do prep for a coronal mass ejection so I will give them that).

8 Likes

In the 80s I was chatting with a prepper type. I mentioned the need for a stockpile of birth control (which now, 35 years later, is an abstract issue for me). He replied that, no, we’d need to make lots of babies to provide labor and/or replenish the earth. Right. Fertile women are gonna be in big trouble [ed: miserable, violated, or dead] in these “communities.”

14 Likes

Sounds like a quality reality show idea, right there:

“Doomsday Prepper Big Brother”

Then again, it’s more of a short film…

6 Likes

AKA, AirBNB.

6 Likes

When I was in high school, our Economics teacher (previously a trust officer at a bank IIRC) advised us to stockpile bars of silver. Gold bars are way too expensive, but a bar of silver wouldn’t be. (This was before someone invented a different photographic process that did not require silver, sending the silver market crashing; and that was before the widespread use of digital images…) When the shit hits the fan and our Weimar-esque wheelbarrows of cash are next-to-worthless, why, we can just trade in our inflated silver and buy food!

One day we had a substitute teacher who said “Y’all pay attention to this! She’s right!”

Later (my brain doesn’t have an express elevator) it occurred to me that marauding groups of hungry fellow humans aren’t going to care much about silver bullion. “Hey! Give that back, I bought this sawdust fair and square with my silv-- Hey wait, DON’T EAT ME!”

8 Likes

Depends how bad it gets. Precious metals are precious for a reason, far before they had any practical use. If there are marauding band of humans as a norm, then nothing will be used for trade, it will just be taken.

IMO ammo and its components are probably the best currency for the end times. Nearly everyone will find some value in useful tools like that. Food and medicine will be the most valuable trade goods.

3 Likes
2 Likes

The Transition Town movement agrees with you;

4 Likes

Thanks for the link. This is really cool stuff. I love the idea of "green"ing cities. More important SHTF plans that are based on likely non-fictional stuff like weather related disaster.

3 Likes

You’re welcome! They are refreshingly optimistic about human nature and communities.

2 Likes

Was the name “Gullible Ranch” already taken?

6 Likes

Imagine what a prepper HOA is like when you aren’t even a permanent resident.

6 Likes

I don’t get it.
How should timeshare work when the ‘intended’ need for the shelter kicks in?

Doomsday and you are allowed to use the cabin for a week, the others wait outside for their turn and you move out into the conflict zone after a week?

If the shit hits the fan everyone will show up (mostly armed) and demand access.
Those ‘shelters’ will be the place to stay the furthest from in case of emergency!

1 Like

I’m basically considering this venture to be a doomsday-themed vacation resort. Kind of depressing, if you ask me. If I wanted to head out into the wilderness for a week or two, I’d outfit myself with some camping gear and head for an appropriate location.

3 Likes

Really good timing.

2 Likes