Cotton balls turned into a colorful garden tool handle

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/02/28/cotton-balls-turned-into-a-col.html

1 Like

Peter Brown is one of my favorite YouTube makers. He’s got a good niche on interesting lathe work and I think some of the projects are quite interesting, and he manages to be amusing without it turning into a schtick.

I thought the cotton+resin projects specifically were really interesting. It ends up looking a lot like marble/etc.

2 Likes

Watching the bowl video. I’m not an expert, but would he have less trouble with voids if he used a vibration table? I’ve seen them used for casting gaming mini terrain; it’s a little platform with a vibration motor attached to it and it shakes all the bubbles out of your cast.

I never see the casting-weird-shit-in-resin guys on YouTube using them. I guess your typical bowl/vase/whatever doesn’t have any fine surface features to catch and be disfigured by tiny bubbles, but it seems like it might have helped here.

1 Like

Absolutely not an expert, but it seems to me that the cotton balls are going to trap bubbles, even with shaking.

He has a degasser he used recently, same reason and effect

1 Like

Ah, like a vacuum chamber? That’d do it, yeah.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.