Cotton candy grapes: A refreshing treat or an abomination against mankind?

Yeah they can be tasty. There’s just a reason we usually turn them into other stuff rather than eating them out of hand.

I haven’t had the “moon drop” branded grapes. But long grapes in general are pretty damn good.

Thomchord grapes /drool

Um, yes they are. Cross-species gene transfer happens all the time in nature. Selective breeding is just a very slow clumsy method to do what modern GMO can do.

My opinion on this characterization doesn’t come from some evil
GMO think tank. It comes primarily from Dr. Novella’s regular thoughtful and science-based coverage of the topic.

As others have said, there are reasonable conversations to be had around big companies patenting genes and other nonsense, but the technical process of GMO is nothing to be afraid of, nor is it fundamentally different than thousands of years of breeding. It’s just better technology for the same process, in the same way taking aspirin is a lot better than chewing on willow bark, despite the former being OMG TEST TUBES.

I’ll say right now that others will have the last word on this because I am bowing out of the thread on this single note. My experience is that the BB crowd gets super animated and irrational around GMOs and “natural” food, so I’ve said my peace and you may all disagree with me at will now.

8 Likes

Give me a banana that tastes like peanut butter, so I can cut out the middle man:

2 Likes

Cotton candy grapes remind me that i am missing burning man, going to burning man, or burning man has been canceled. And just like burning man, I love hate them… or hate love them.

The creation of cotton candy grapes is fascinating, but they are indeed an abomination. I’ll stick to a simple bunch of fresh black grapes.

This reminds me of a Polish friend who had a fascination with American junk food, even though she knew it only by reputation. I brought her a bag of Combos when I was in the US on a business trip. When she opened it, she laughed and asked, “What is this, dog food?” Then she ate one and was horrified. “Parents give these to their children?” she asked. About two-thirds of the way through the bag she asked, “Why can’t I stop eating these?”

4 Likes

Salt and high fructose corn syrup. It’s always salt and high fructose corn syrup.

2 Likes

Dude I like combos and I’m horrified when I open a bag.

Tastes like the floor of a delicious truck stop.

1 Like

I found these once at my local market and was intrigued enough to buy them even though they were 2x more than regular grapes. They are amazing! Worth every penny I spent. Now I can’t find them again and life is meaningless.

EDIT: Just read the article. They don’t look like the cotton candy grapes I’ve seen. The ones I know of come in white powdered form and you’re supposed to snort or inject them.

1 Like

Sounds like a refreshing abomination to me.

(Seriously, though, I’ve had these one time. They were awful.)

And GMOs aren’t necessarily more evil than ‘traditional’ ways of coming up with new breeds: a lot of vegetable seeds have been developed through radiation or chemical mutagens, without having to be called GMOs – that’s reserved just for deliberate patches where we know what we’re doing, versus random gene splatter.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.