Cough syrup from the heroic age

I have seen a number of drug addicts who ruined a perfectly good liver not exactly because of the opioids they were munching but the acetaminophen(Tylenol) which may not be addictive but is very liver-toxic especially when nutrition is not a high priority. They (drug companies, DEA, FDA) put the acetaminophen in in part to synergize their analgesic properties but also to make it ‘safe’ in that it is too dangerous to safely abuse in large quantity. It is weird that done right street Heroin can in some circumstances be less dangerous than perscription pill abuse.

8 Likes

i knew a guy who would use cold water and a coffee filter to separate the acetaminophen out. luckily, he saw a doctor who put him on subs and he’s clean now.

1 Like

Do not attempt to ship this across state lines.
http://archive.nlm.nih.gov/fdanj/handle/123456789/65401
It will be interdicted and destroyed.

2 Likes

I agree, the measurement is most likely from the apothecaries’ system, with “m” = to “:scorpius:” = to “minim” and “gr.” = “grain”.

Another thing to remember is that at the time this was made, the raw source cannabis included wouldn’t have been anywhere near as potent as today’s marketed blends. The physical amount of the drug is only half the issue though, because although the active ingredient (THC) was far lower in those plants, what’s contained in the syrup is a condensed liquid extract - so we have no way to know how potent the actual extract in that bottle was!

One thing I find interesting about the bottle is that the ingredients are listed alphabetically rather than by content amount. These days, the cannabis would be listed before the alcohol. (4.5 vs. 4.25)

“One Night” was supposed to help you sleep through an illness. (Rest is one of the most important things you can do to heal.) So the cough syrup was designed, not really to ease coughs, but to help knock you out.

You can just make out the dosage on the bottom of the label: “one half-teaspoonful three” (Probably: times a day). 1 oz = 6 tsp, so there are 12 doses in the bottle - enough for four days. Also, each dose is about 0.67mg morphine.

This is the hard stuff. Given for colic (yep, to babies!), cough, and delirium tremens (the “shakes” - from alcohol withdrawal).

5 Likes

I believe those are the ingredients used for the Eleusinian Mysteries.

1 Like

That’s assuming there’s only one ounce in the bottle. Unless that label is absolutely tiny, there’s a lot more than that.

it is quite possible you are allergic to honey, an allergy which expresses as irritation for you.

2 Likes

If you’ve got fructose malabsorption, honey’s not a good thing for you. (And you’d need to avoid some fruits and vegetables as well.) That doesn’t make it an “intestine destroyer” in general though. You might also have allergies to pollens normally contained in (decent, gawd-fearing) honey (not that fake crap that’s out there passing as honey) then you might have some reaction to it such as throat itching or hoarseness.

5 Likes

based on the response that follows yours, marjae appears to be working from personal experience.

Hey, buddy, I’ll give you a like, but if you are looking for a citation, it’ll take more than a short post on BB; you’ll need a dissertation or something. :wink:

1 Like

They didn’t screw around because there was no requirement for safety before the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act of 1938. In the elixir sulfanilamide disaster the pharmaceutical manufacturer S. E. Massengill Company created a liquid form of an antibiotic using diethylene glycol as a solvent. Better known now as antifreeze, diethylene glycol is poisonous, and the new formulation killed over 100 people. The response of the company’s owner?

“We have been supplying a legitimate professional demand and not once could have foreseen the unlooked-for results. I do not feel that there was any responsibility on our part.”

The company ended up paying a small fine for mislabeling the alcohol-free drug as a tincture. Indeed, the only reason why the FDA had authority to intervene and seize the deadly product was that mislabeling; if their poison was properly labeled the FDA would have been powerless to stop them, hence the subsequent passage of the above mentioned Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. Massengill stayed in business until 1971, when it was acquired by Beecham PLC.

6 Likes

It was medicines like that that lead to Canada banning cannabis in 1923.

I see, so you got your MD from the medical school of My Personal Anecdote University. Good school, that.

5 Likes

I see, so you are trolling.

I can’t speak to your experience, but mine is that honey is a serious throat irritant and gut buster. I do wonder who some people would find it a throat soather, and what, besides allergies, could explain the difference.

Sorry for speaking to experiences that are not yours.

I think you’re misusing the term “trolling.”

You stated something that’s factually incorrect for the vast majority of people, as if it were an undisputed fact, with the words “in my experience” or “for me” nowhere in sight. You might want to work on that.

6 Likes

Before DJ Screw mixed music to simulate the effects of purple drank, these folks celebrated it. I assume they weren’t boogieing just because Hadacol helped them stop coughing.

3 Likes

Hmm…
Honey isn’t a uniform substance and can carry all sorts of stuff in it, from strange blue toxins to dead bee parts, depending on how raw/processed you take it. It’s also fairly osmotic, mildly anitbiotic, slightly antiviral and sweet and sticky. There’s a helluva lot of stuff going on in honey besides the sugars.

I can see why it could be used by some as a throat soother and it’s got a long tradition of being used as such and also why it might irritate the throat in others. Honey’s weird. So are people. There might be a sensitivity to something in the honey and it’s certainly got a track record of causing skin rashes, irritations and even infant botulism.

Dr.* Martian suggests that in the cases of sore throats, stick to the remedy that works best for you, whether that’s honey and lemon, chicken soup, copious amounts of Scotch or my personal suggestion, a refreshing sand-blast and refinish of the interior larynx and tracheal pipe, followed by a fresh set of lung-filters.

* May not be a real doctor. Anyone that takes medical advice from a powdered-potato-obsessed life-form deserves everything they get. </sub

7 Likes

Your local Boots (if you’re in England) sells J. Collis Browne cough mixture OTC; it has very similar ingredients.

1 Like

Your modern day analogue contains the following ingredients:

Morphine Hydrochloride, Peppermint Oil.

Excuse me? Where’s the Chloroform? Where’s the Cannabis?

1 Like

Now I’ll be googling up to find out where I heard this, but I recall a radio story about laudanum being very commonly used to make babies sleep through the night, particularly by factory workers and other working women who were working exhausting hours. I also recall this story saying a lot of children were underweight and had health problems as a result of being addicted to these sleeping aids.

4 Likes