Cough syrup from the heroic age

Mod note: watch the snark levels.

2 Likes

“…because taking enough of it will make this night your last.”

Dosis Sola Facit Venenum.

A lot of people will get a bit of a burning sensation if they’re drinking something really, really sweet – the pure fructose/sugar burns the throat. Sounds like you’re unusually sensitive to it.

To be clear, that means that honey may be a throat irritant for you. It doesn’t mean that honey, as a rule, is an irritant. For most people, for centuries, it’s been considered a soother.

3 Likes

Neither honey nor alcohol are “intestine destroyers” for the vast majority of people. Seems like MarjaE is extraordinarily sensitive to them. I personally get indigestion and heartburn if I have too much acidic tomato sauce, garlic, and cheese — but I’d never say they are “intestine destroyers”.

2 Likes

Much like how water does not normally burn the throat, but to someone suffering from various diseases (such as rabies, historically known as “hydrophobia”), the mere act of drinking is a monumental task.

1 Like

This would be a bit concerning because of the morphine dose, if “gr” is gram and not grain. 1/8 of a gram would be 125mg. The LD50 for humans for morphine sulfate is 125-250mg. So, assuming a larger than 1oz bottle, you could be screwed if someone drank a full ounce or more of this stuff.

http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00295 (Morphine reference info)

If “gr” is grain, then there’s about 8.1mg morphine/oz of this stuff, which means to hit the low end of the LD50, you’d have to drink a bit over 15oz of this stuff. That’s a fair volume of liquid, and a bit of google-fu shows bottles that look considerably smaller than 15oz (though the one pictured for the article is “15 doses”).

and

(obviously an older variety)

I’m betting that if you downed a whole bottle, you’d probably be feeling pretty happy from the morphine, and possibly developing a bit of habit as well (but hey, repeat customers!)

A lot of these “patent cures” were essentially narcotics in disguise, so good churchgoing folks could get their drink on, or get their opiate fix in a more socially respectable fashion, and as such were either high in alcohol content (which this one isn’t) or had a decent amount of a narcotic in it.

Google “Mariani wine” (cocaine laced wine endorsed by a pope!) or Dr. McMunn’s elixir of opium or Lloyd manufacturing Cocaine tooth drops for fun.

1 Like

…but it did cure a touch of the vapors.

I dunno, it is “skillfully combined with other ingredients”! :slight_smile:

Have you heard of Godfrey’s Cordial, also called Mother’s Friend, which was basically opium to keep your baby quite. LOL.

2 Likes

Hi Jardine - I just got back to my computer. I recommend you take a look at Bobo’s photos. Old-timey medicine bottles frequently were tiny. Glass was just as precious as the contents. Note the wrapper for the “Kohler One Night” (which I hadn’t yet seen when I made my 12-dose guesstimate). It states “15 doses”, so the matched bottle (which says “Each Ounce Contains”) is most likely a one-ounce bottle.

2 Likes

Delirium tremens is not the same as the shakes, although the latter is usually a component of the former. Shakes can happen after a weekend bender; delirium tremens is a result of withdrawal from long-term heavy abuse and involves hallucinations, seizures, and sometimes death. It’s excellent cause for an ambulance ride.

You do not have “DTs” just because your handwriting is wobbly the day after a bachelor party.

I quote myself:

I didn’t say it was a hangover, or try to imply short term use. I wasn’t implying minimal medicinal concern. DT’s a.k.a. “the shakes” are a side effect of withdrawal from long term alcohol abuse.

What I’m saying is that “the shakes” are a common symptom of a bad hangover as well as delirium tremens. Too many people observe that they’ve got “the DTs” because their hands are trembling slightly the morning after. This exaggerates their own condition and minimizes the seriousness of the other; it’s like saying you have cholera every time Taco Bell gives you the shits.

Look, you’re sidetracking this thread, and I’m done.

No one is questioning the truthfulness of the label? It could have been anything in there. The label is part of the marketing. The industry was not known for its wholesomeness, I am pretty sure.

1 Like

Up until the late 80s at least, there was a chemists in my home town sold a product known as ‘policeman’s bottle’, which tasted like boiled Victory Vs and rubbing alcohol and contained an entertaining quantity of morphine. And you got money off if you brought your bottle back in for a refill.

Heeeeee! Brings back a memory! I was given something similar when I was around 4 for probably a cold. Pretty sure it was tea, honey and whiskey of some sort. It took a couple of decades after than before I could stand any one of them :smile:

1 Like

And of course since laudanum worked so well, Bayer figured this newer stuff would work even better!
Bayer heroin
Yep, same Bayer we still know and love. Probably a part of I.G. Farben at the time of the ad who were the lovely folks who supplied the Zyklon B for let’s say, other purposes.

1 Like

And here’s some 411 on baby doping with laudanum.

http://drugtext.org/Opium-and-the-People/9.html

1 Like

I seem to recall Heroin was invented as a way to stop people being addicted to morphine. They talked about this on a Planet Money episode about Suboxone and why there is so much caution about getting this new drug out on the streets. http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/10/23/240242221/episode-391-the-anti-addiction-pill-thats-big-business-for-drug-dealers

Is there a transcript?

I’m sorry honey irritates your throat. I found it soothing, and the alcohol, I suspect, was there to help me sleep. My father’s point, though, seemed to be that the homemade cough syrup wasn’t any worse than the commercial varieties, which also contained alcohol–and, for that matter, sugar. It may not have been any worse, but I don’t know if it was any better either.

2 Likes