Cough syrup from the heroic age

If it was comparable/equal functionally, and cheaper, it was better.

1 Like

The ad is from 1901; Bayer didn’t join IG Farben until after WWI. Although IG Farben did manufacture Zykclon B, It’s not clear to me that Bayer was involved. However, Bayer did exploit slave labor, and was involved in human subject experimentation.

Interesting, Schering, which was bought by Bayer, as a means of reacquiring the trademarks forfeited after the First World War, was also involved in Zyklon B manufacture, though they were responsible for the oderant, and this particular contribution may diminish Schering’s responsibility.

1 Like

It looks like they weren’t putting transcripts up as a regular thing on the older shows. I’m not finding one.

Intentionally poisoning people to protect them from their own vices; this embodies the worst of the U.S.'s puritanical impulses. It’s disgusting and morally appalling. In a just society the people who implemented this would be in jail.

5 Likes

Hi All :smile: Because no one provided a source for claims on family recipes, I thought this link to the Mayo Clinic might be a good addition to this page.

It refers to a study using honey to suppress cough in young children so they could sleep. The honey seemed to work as well as dextromethorphan in OTC doses. Mayo Clinic notes that honey, due to infant botulism risk, should never be given to a child younger than age 1!

They also remind that some coughing is a healthy thing to do.

The Mayo Book of Home Remedies also recommends gargling with warm salt water for both sore throat and cough. “A randomized study of 400 people during cold and flu season also found that salt water gargling three times a day, with or without a cold actually being felt, reduced respiratory infections up to 40 percent.” (source: lifehacker)

A saline solution can draw excess fluid from inflamed tissues in the throat, making them hurt less, said Dr. Philip T. Hagen … (He also) pointed out that gargling also loosens thick mucus, which can remove irritants like allergens, bacteria and fungi from the throat.

The chloroform is right there in the ingredient list under “The other ingredients are:” As for “Where’s the Cannibis?”, that’s on the street corner outside of Boots.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.