Count your bees with a Raspberry Pi and machine learning

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/31/surveillance-apiculture.html

3 Likes

I tried, but I kept running afoul of the Heisenberg Apiary Principle. I couldn’t count the bees without killing them.

2 Likes

Have you tried raising your bees in a Schrödinger’s box? (Not a Schrödinger’s catbox, the other kind.) It works great so long as you don’t open the box.

Update: added Wikipedia link.
Update 2: added missing word “you”.

2 Likes

I first read this as farting and got excited. “Bees farting!” I thought to myself. Then I re-read it, and was disappointed.

1 Like

I guess this answers the old, “Two bees or not two bees?

2 Likes

com-optimize%20(5)

What’s this? A thread trying to determine if it’s properly populated with bees?

4 Likes

4 Likes

That gif is shooped, it’s the same couple of bees repeated, I can tell by the pixels! Fake news!

1 Like

Too late:

Mmm, that could be of interest to my beekeeper of an uncle.

Err… it’s Mat Kelcey.

They aren’t on the database yet

1 Like

That sounds better than bee license backpacks. It’s hard enough for them to fly in the first place without having to lug a backpack around, and be called nerds by the other bees.

2 Likes

I want to use a Raspberry Pi to measure the traffic at our hummingbird feeder. I might take a look to see if I can steal adapt anything from this project. (Motion detection might be good enough. It’s very rare to have more than one at a time, so counting them isn’t an issue.)

This UofT setup is clever, but it looks like a hummingbird NMR.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.