Couple documents Capitol siege, horrified by what they saw/heard

And yet those who tried to prevent democracy from happening last week, senators and congress critters, still refuse to say that trump lost the election.

Almost like they are waiting for something.

19 Likes

I know I am.

21 Likes

And I highly doubt that you’re incorrect.

16 Likes

Lemme repeat the important part: A source close to the White House who is in touch with some of the rioters at the Capitol.

24 Likes

They weren’t in the planning, and they were only responsible for small parts of the execution of the plan - and those were the parts that achieved their objective. The vote count was delayed. The NG was withheld. The coup targets’ offices were found.

I’m sure we will hear more as investigations continue, but there is already a clear picture of the communications pathways the coordination of the coup took.

ETA: I don’t need to accuse GOP reps of communicating real-time locations of targets - it’s right in their fucking Twitter feeds!

17 Likes

I hold to the theory that they actually believed they would be joined by armed military, law enforcement and etc. When that did not happen, they were hosed. While “the planners were stupid” might have played a role, I suspect that their true idiocy lay in thinking Trump would actually back them. That was never going to happen. If they succeeded, he would have taken total credit. But risking anything himself? Have they not been paying attention?

18 Likes

He did flat-out tell them he would be marching with them, then went back to the White House to watch the show on TV.

21 Likes

No. Just because it failed doesn’t mean it had to have done so. They were literally a minute from breaching the doors to the senate chamber and so the senate was literally saved by the actions of an officer getting the rioters to chase him.

We must take this seriously and start heading this shit off before it’s an almost. It won’t be next time.

Stop dismissing it. JFC.

11th-doc-this|nullxnull

I think I argued this elsewhere, but I want to reiterate that a coup does not take deep, strategic planning of a genius. It needs brute force, luck, and a society that is willing to accept it. We are right on the fucking edge here, and the fact that so many people are still shrugging their shoulders at what did just happen and dismissing the danger it represents is deeply unsettling.

Yep. Because he’s a lazy coward.

21 Likes

I mean, why would a leader ever attempt to seize control of a democracy if they weren’t going to put in the work to succeed, right? So presumably no such attempt has ever failed. We shouldn’t even have a concept of “attempted coup”, it makes no sense.

Or, you know, maybe some things are risky to do and despite a dimwit being rich and having lots of followers, it doesn’t actually guarantee them success.

18 Likes

So do I.

The insurrectionists expected the Capitol police to not only let them past the barricades (which they did) they expected them to actively join in on the riot.

18 Likes

Don’t forget the multiple people who brought flex cuffs to the “protest”, including the one in this infamous photo who was ultimately identified because he brought his mom with him to the event…

18 Likes

45 called for it directly in his incitement speech! I think he expected it, too. Luckily for us, they remembered their oath to protect and defend the Constitution, not to follow the whims of whatever dumbass happens to occupy the Oval Office.

16 Likes

Yeah… the assholes in viking horns may have had “no aims,” but the military trained insurrectionists using them as cover, like that guy pictured, most definitely did have an agenda.

So why didn’t the coup fully succeed, a self-appointed devil’s advocate may ask?

A combo of incompetence, half-stepping and sheer dumb luck.

19 Likes

I gotta say, this was not a riot. That implies spontaneous, unplanned violence. This was a planned insurrection, involving political leaders of our country in a conspiracy to overthrow the legitimately elected government of the United States. Whether it was well planned or well executed has no bearing on the criminality of the event and the requirement for the conspirators to be held responsible and face consequences.
(Whew! I feel a little bit better after that rant!)

20 Likes

Give it a name; the nefarious intent in this case is all the same.

I don’t disagree that it was planned and orchestrated in advance by 45’s fans & enablers.

15 Likes

Agreed. There were riot elements to it, as there were plenty of people who were swept up in the moment, but quite a few of those people there that day knew what they were doing and had planned on doing it.

After everything that has happened, you’d think that we’d finally, once and for all, take the threat of white supremacist terrorism seriously, but it looks like some people STILL will not, likely because they’ll not be the first to suffer if such a group does manage to pull something like this off.

13 Likes

Easy. This was (at least supposed to be) the overthrow democracy. It was an attempted revolution. However, that is probably giving them too much of the respect they so desire. So “failed coup” would be my choice.

15 Likes

Reminds me of a scene from Night Court. The public defender insists that the shotgun her client was carrying was only a very small one. The prosecutor retorts that the correct term is “sawed off”.

9 Likes

Man, you are on top of all of the news, lately.

The goal is to “flood the zone with shit”, that is considered (and pretty much kinda is, sadly) sucess.

1 Like