Covers Thread: Pop Songs Redux

I keep meaning to post things here… I have some odd covers in my collection.
Caterina Valente : Blueberry Hill

1 Like

:cake: covering War Pigs. I feel like the siren and the horns really add to the song. It’s also a little at least slightly easier for me to tell what John McCrea is singing.

5 Likes

I find Cake’s cover of I Will Survive to be pretty delightful as well.

9 Likes

I like this cover, too. It really highlights what a great drummer Brian Viglione is. When I saw them on their last tour they played it…:

4 Likes

I actually had this one on vynil
The Lords Of The New Church - Like A Virgin

4 Likes

OMG that is quite a workout.

Lauren O’Connell covering Vampire Weekend’s Unbelievers. Playing glass cups!

Cowboy Junkies, State Trooper

Better than Bruce because bassline, and because I’ve loved the Junkies ever since I first heard them in Pump Up The Volume.

There’s a line in this that always had strong personal relevance: “Maybe you’ve got a kid; maybe you’ve got a pretty wife; the only thing that I’ve got; been buggin’ me my whole life”.

Aspie’s anthem.

1 Like

Half of Some Girls Wander could be on here. I’ll add this one on:

Because while Bob Dylan could write some good songs, he could never make them sound halfway decent (and there’s a reason that most second-wave goth bands aped the Sisters’ sound).

Jumping to the continent, Bitte Bitte by Tanzwut edges out the original by Die Ärtze (barely). A great Berlin alt-punk song that now sounds like Rammstein if Flake played the bagpipes instead of the keyboard? Yes please.

4 Likes

Laibach covered Ballad of a Thin Man (among MANY other songs):

2 Likes

Chan Chan, The Mammals.

Y’all may be familiar with this from the Buena Vista Social Club soundtrack. I prefer this version to that one mostly due to the energy of Ruth Ungar’s fiddle work. Tao Rodriguez-Seeger (yup, Pete Seeger’s grandkid) does a good job on the vocals, too.

:heart_decoration:

Nice thread, BTW.

Very unfashionable, DILLIGAF :slight_smile: but

It’s way overdone and perfect for the original which really just needed more of everything. Or maybe less. Either way. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Kings of Convenience covering It’s My Party. Not better but it’s a cute arrangement and calmer and the “Trumpet Solo” is hilarious.

1 Like

The cover I didn’t know I needed. :laughing:

This one’s been earworming me the last two days at work:

1 Like
1 Like

I’m on a teenage me kick, it seems:

1 Like

Now, I don’t know if I would say if this is better than the original, because I love Simon & Garfunkel, thanks to my parents, who are OF (Original Folkster) fans of S & G. But this cover was pointed out to me by . . . my mother. She’s almost 72. She loves this. It gets pretty melodramatic, but that is a thing I like sometimes.

She also likes “Indestructible” :astonished:

2 Likes

I like this far better than their cover of Land of Confusion:

But speaking of covers of 80s songs, no one has posted Frente’s version of Bizarre Love Triangle:

5 Likes

OH! Tori’s Strangle Little Girls album had some good covers, I thought…

The Stranglers…

5 Likes