Covers Thread: Pop Songs Redux

The Richard Cheese cover is pretty iconic as well.

3 Likes

I miss Richard Cheese

3 Likes

He’s still making albums and touring. I saw him a couple years back when he came to Seattle. It was a great show.

1 Like

Yes, a couple years back. Since then he had eye problems and had to go on hiatus. I don’t know if he’s back yet or if he’s permanently retired.

He had a brief hiatus for his corneal transplant in 2014 but he’s released 3 new albums since then and has been on tour.

1 Like

This cover was my introduction to the song, and it is obviously better in every way:

2 Likes

Good to know!

Mine was Lisa Hannigan’s cover:

Lisa Hannigan is best known as the female vocalist on 9 Crimes (Damien Rice)

1 Like

I love Damien Rice, so that’s a point in her favor right there!

2 Likes

She’s the female vocals on a bunch of his tracks. I think she might be his ex-wife or ex-girlfriend or something, but I’m not sure.

She’s a talented Irish folk singer and multiinstrumentalist in her own right, so it’s probably not fair to call her that chick who sang with Damien Rice. That’s just where I know her from.

1 Like

I always think Somebody That I Used to Know covers are covers of the Elliott Smith song.

1 Like

Kind of the oddest cover I’ve ever heard. :purple_heart:

1 Like

Here’s a new one to me. I think it captures the feel of the original spot-on while seamlessly flipping it from male to female POV. The modernization of the sound adds power without being different enough to be distracting. The one drawback is that the response vocals blend right in instead of being distinctly different.

The Rezillos original, in my read, was about how two people come together; the Fife/Reynolds split in the vocals reinforced this.

This is lonelier, more desperate with just Star Crunch with no counter point vocals. If you’re going to use 20 million miles of bleakness and human weakness as the metaphor for the differences between us, yeah, that’s grim.

1 Like

The Be Good Tanyas, Waiting Around to Die

Originally by Townes Van Zandt:

Ain’t nothing wrong with Townes’ version; I just adore the Tanyas.

2 Likes

And yet another on the theme of “country classics reinterpreted with a female vocal”…

Caitlin Harnett, Jackson

Quite a contrast with the original:

1 Like

XTC’s version of All Along the Watchtower is IMO better than Dylan or Hendrix’s. It has a great apocalyptic quality. Love the bass and organ.

2 Likes

Love these guys- This is another great one:

2 Likes

Kesha performing Dylan’s It Aint Me Babe backed by Ben Folds.

Such an emotional performance nearly not performed because of who owns the rights to her voice at the moment.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.