Covers Thread: Pop Songs Redux

Da Ya Think I’m Sexy was itself a cover… or a plagiarism. I’m not sure which.

3 Likes

Kinda neither, but a lot was swiped from other songs. I think of it as like sampling. Everything’s a remix. :smiley:

3 Likes

It was a ripoff of “Taj Mahal” by Jorge Ben. To say Taj Mahal was sampled is a huge understatement.

1 Like

Yeah, if you like. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That wasn’t half bad! I’m surprised that video hasn’t got more likes.

It won’t replace the original for me but I still like it. :purple_heart:

6 Likes

That was delightful!!! How many other hip-hop classics would make very excellent folk songs?

Silly anecdote about bringing old-timey music to the present: My SO rather enjoyed the movie Lawless in spite of The Beef, but he was stunned when I started singing along with the song played at the ‘party’ in the movie; Kristen Hirsch covered it on her first solo album in the early 90’s, and I still love that album. Later in the movie, White Light White Heat is played in a more authentic form, but I cried a lot while it played because we watched this movie a week or so after Bowie died. :sob:

2 Likes

Everything makes a good folk song.

I once heard a spectacular version of AC/DC’s You Shook Me All Night Long done as a slow romantic ballad by a lesbian folk duo.

4 Likes

I saw Kristen Hersh live, on the Hips and Makers tour, with a head full of very good acid.

Best live gig I’ve ever seen.

2 Likes

Me and math: good buddies. Me and spelling: terrible enemies. Kristen, wherever you are, massive apologies for mangling your last name tonight.

1 Like

Dunno if this is better than the original, but it is as good, and that’s not easily done…

1 Like

Do you like Nouvelle Vague? They cover New Wave songs as Bossa Nova songs. Both Nouvelle Vague and Bossa Nova mean New Wave.

3 Likes

Here’s a cover of Hey Ya, by The Blanks (aka Ted’s Band)

2 Likes

Some rap covers that go in a much softer direction (very NSFW lyrics throughout):

1 Like

This is what happens when you mix tequila, cocaine, and quaaludes.

3 Likes

I’m so glad someone posted this on YouTube. It’s from Captain Fantastic, which is one of my favorite movies of this year.

SPOILER: This is from one of the last scenes in the movie. You basically know it’s coming, but still…

1 Like

My favorite version:

1 Like

Yay, “Hey Ya” covers.

Dang, I kind of miss the days when Jason Webley came through town like all the time.

2 Likes

Jenny Owen Youngs. Very talented, very geeky.

Now for the Gin And Juice covers:

I only know this band (Sissy Bar) for the one cover:

The Gourds. A few members of Wilco here (that is Max Johnston in the back on fiddle). They do a great extended jam, and this isn’t even it.