COVID-19 isolation activities

Loaded the family onto the boat and we are headded to lookout point NC to hide out for a month. We have a bunch of legos, Catan, Agricola, SNES, NETFLIX, PirateBay. I bought a few audrinos and some raspberry pi’s so we plan on doing some projects with my daughter. First one will be a telemetry system for the boat to monitor batery voltage, indoor temp, fridge temp, how many times and for how long the bilge pumps run, if the doors or windows are opened, gps position, and anything else we can think of. I also brought a case of wood varnish so I see a lot of “wax on, wax off” in my daughter’s immediate future.

3 Likes

Trippy; I thought only my household did that.

3 Likes

https://openlibrary.org/?iax=ntlemrlib|imglnk

Announcing The National Emergency Library
During this unprecedented time in history, access to printed books is becoming difficult or impossible. COVID-19 is forcing students, educators, and everyday readers to rely on digital books more than ever before. That’s why the Internet Archive has temporarily suspended all waitlists, allowing you to immediately check out any of the 1.4 million books currently in our lending library. Until June 30th or the end of the US national emergency (whichever comes later), every borrowable book will be immediately accessible by anyone—creating, in effect, a National Emergency Library.

7 Likes
8 Likes
3 Likes

This is counterintuitive. Meetings are a reason to drink.

3 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

Talking of parties, Masters of Hardcore are streaming live DJ sets tonight.

Angerfist is on as I type this.

2 Likes
7 Likes
8 Likes
10 Likes

I made a GIF of it, just because.

Cropped Cadet Dredd GIF

Free and easy to use. https://ezgif.com/maker

12 Likes
2 Likes

(“Today” was 2020-01-01.)

6 Likes

Are you stayin home next wednesday? :wink:

11 Likes

Seeing as we all have time to burn, I fired up the ol’ Kerbal Space Program.

After a few basic orbital hops, I got a mission to rescue a Kerbal from Munar orbit. So, I slapped together a robot spaceship with an empty crew capsule, and headed for the Mun.

Launch: fine.

Transit to the Mun: fine.

Match orbits and rendezvous: fine.

Belatedly realise that he was in a retrograde orbit and our intercept speed was about 750m/s: oops.

Fortunately, I had massively overbuilt my rocket, and had enough ΔV to spare that I could completely reverse my orbit.

However, this left me a little short of fuel for the return transit. But, with a little fiddling, I managed to find a burn that would get me home.

With 5m/s ΔV to spare. And a fairly steep reentry.

This was when I realised that I’d forgotten to boost the amount of ablator on the heatshield to account for the Munar-velocity reentry.

But, too late now. Cross fingers and go for it.

The capsule made it back to the ground. With about 0.05% of ablator to spare…

Same old Kerbal. :slightly_smiling_face:

16 Likes
9 Likes

We’re both working from home now, but – strangely enough – we have time to catch up on our film-watch. How does that happen?! :wink:

Anyway, we watched this a couple of nights ago: Motherless Brooklyn. Absolutely excellent! Set in the 1950s. Written/Directed by Ed Norton who’s outstanding as a private detective afflicted with Tourette’s Syndrome. Almost 2.5 hours, but it went by fast.

3 Likes

He had Periodic Table socks.

I want those socks.

4 Likes