Covid cancelled last year's World Black Pudding Throwing Championship, but now it's back

Originally published at: Covid cancelled last year's World Black Pudding Throwing Championship, but now it's back | Boing Boing

3 Likes

One of my favorite Goon Show episodes. Goon Show: The Dreaded Batter Pudding Hurler of Bexhill-on-Sea. - YouTube

5 Likes

Is the prize a “Pudding Bucket”?
Wink Reaction GIF by Charlie Mars

I like how goofy traditions like this always have to have a “just so” noble origin story to them. Those stories are told rather than how they probably all actually started— with someone saying, “Hold my beer and watch this…”. It’s okay to just enjoy something silly, fellow humans.

War of the Roses… suuuuuuuure…okay. Jennifer Lawrence gif

3 Likes

But that movie didn’t come out until 1989!

3 Likes

I’m something like 99% certain that the story was a joke. Yorkshire puddings weren’t created until the 18th century, although there was a flatter predecessor.

2 Likes

Hah! Well, even better then. :grin:

The only sensible thing to do with black pudding anyway; throw it as far away from you as possible.

Well they’re throwing black pudding, even if Yorkshires are the target. So that shouldn’t be an issue.

I dunno if you’re going to find a plausible cutoff for blood sausage.

Though it sounds like the “tradition” only starts in the 80’s, inspired by the story. And wasn’t some continual sausage chucking thing.

We were referring to the quote about it’s supposed origin.

It’s a fun story, but probably fake.

Which is why the Yorkists got battered when the Lancastrians threw black puddings at them. Nothing to throw back, and with all that battering, they had to invent a pudding to use it up. :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.