Bring back the Halloween tradition of throwing cabbage at people

Originally published at: Bring back the Halloween tradition of throwing cabbage at people | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I wonder if “cabbage” was always slang for money…

8 Likes

yay!

Noooooooo!!! :cry:

But let’s do it!

4 Likes

I’ve encountered cabbages as heavy as bowling balls. I do not want cabbage thrown at me.

1 Like

I’m all for throwing cabbages, but I can’t help but feel the designated targets in these stories are very fictionalized versions of crabby old curmudgeons. “Hark! There’s a knock on the door, on Halloween yet. I shall go answer it, because I certainly don’t suspect anything untoward. Oh my, it’s those devilish scamp children from the neighborhood …”

Also: my but that’s a lot of heteronormativity, isn’t it?

3 Likes

I feel like a lot of these, particularly the apple ones are still alive in the US with minimal modification and a few
Of the others drifted into regional Mardu Gras activities.

I’m picturing small tokens, like in a Monopoly game.
i.e., dollhouse-sized horseshoes. (Or toy-barn-sized, if you will :slight_smile: )

1 Like

4 Likes

Yes, they’re small. They’d be wrapped in paper usually to prevent them sticking to the cake. Usually you’d put in a coin, a ring, and a stick, but there are variations. I recall hearing that having non-food items inside food puts them on the FDA banned list (along with kinder eggs).

The cake is called Báirín Breac, or barmbrack, or just brack. It’s a lot like a cinnamon raisin loaf.

Yes we used to bob for apples and do the apple on a string thing. Can’t say that I’ve ever thrown cabbages at anyone.

2 Likes

I came here to post that very gif if no one else had.

2 Likes

2 Likes

While we’re at it

“Ah. Bon.”

tumblr_pdjkr6M2kG1ubdj3lo2_500

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.