Covid hits the high seas again with cruise ship outbreak: 27 infected and one dead so far

It’s like The Lottery.

3 Likes

Someone once described cruise ships as “a mid-range hotel that you can’t leave”. That always stuck with me and captures the reason I’m unlikely to ever set foot on one vs. using that money for a different kind of holiday.

13 Likes

As well, years spent sailing the 7 seas with minimal accommodations are not my idea of a pleasant holiday reminder. Will stick to the land based vacations.

7 Likes

The floating chickenpox party in the sea.

5 Likes

Years ago I booked a cruise for my missus and I for our honeymoon, done in secrecy since we didn’t have a lot of spending money. While watching the news one evening it showed a cruise ship returning to Port early after a norovirus outbreak. The missus went on a rant about how dumb people are for going on cruises, trapped on a diseased ship with a thousand drunk strangers, etc.

I cancelled the trip and remodeled the bathroom instead. The missus was quite pleased.

21 Likes

And tiny rooms, not much scenery, 2nd rate entertainment, and the possibility of motion sickness. What’s not to love? Actually I’ll admit that I AM a little interested in a river cruise. The idea of going from interesting city to interesting city without having to pack and unpack has some appeal, although the fact that they are smaller boats that don’t have the economies of scale the ocean cruise liners do means that they are significantly more expensive.

8 Likes

I know cruises are not everyone’s cup of tea, but it’s just petty to shit on someone else’s good time, if they aren’t hurting anyone. I’ve been on cruises before and had a great time – catered to by professional staff, hanging out with nice folks on board, visiting cool places, and getting fancy meals, all on a beautiful boat.

Now of course this is not a great time to be stuck anywhere with a bunch of folks with the Delta variant raging.

10 Likes

The environmental impact of cruise ships and the wage-slavery employment conditions for crew are…not ideal, but I would not begrudge any individual passenger for all of that.

5 Likes

I had a nice time traveling from Ft Lauderdale to the Bahamas on a 40 ft sailboat. That’s sort of a cruise, isn’t it?

3 Likes

Who could possibly see this as a bad idea!

1 Like

That’s fair. Cruises are one of the things BBS can be relied upon to dunk on, so your feedback is appreciated. I’m guilty of this (right here in this thread even).

4 Likes

Traveling up the Rhine has some appeal for me for that reason - I don’t enjoy the constant hauling of luggage and making all the travel connections with said luggage. But most cruises are in a hurry and pause so briefly at stops where I’d want to linger I haven’t been able to justify it versus staying longer at land-based accommodations giving time to explore.

1 Like

Talk about cruisin’ for a brusin’…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.