Covid testing company "selling customers' DNA"

Originally published at: Covid testing company "selling customers' DNA" | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Fucking a… I know grifters are gonna grift, what I don’t understand is why governments don’t crack down harder when the clear effect is to destroy the public’s trust in medicine and science… wait a minute, I guess it does make some diabolical kind of sense after all.

Wonder Years Reaction GIF

32 Likes

It’s the neoliberal motto of disaster capitalism: never let a horrible crisis go to waste.

27 Likes

Lawyers and capitalism, a combo made in hell. Reminds me of a joke, maybe you’ve heard it: what do you call a lawyer at the bottom of the sea?

4 Likes

Or the one that asks what’s the difference between a catfish and a lawyer?

One is a scum sucking bottom feeder and the other is a fish.

4 Likes

Your link is broken.

2 Likes

I can’t paste the corrected link, but search Google News for “cignpost selling DNA” and I think it’s the iNews story from November 14th.

1 Like

4 Likes

Ah! Facebook has expanded to medical testing, I see.

4 Likes

Needs more @beschizza

2 Likes

fixed that link

6 Likes

Holy shit. This is the kind of thing that should result in actual prosecutions of those involved in the decision.

“buried in online documentation”

Very much a

“But the plans were on display…”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”

kind of situation there. There was no chance that any user was going to find out what their plans were, especially as they were relying on it being government approved, and they were absolutely counting on that for their monstrously unethical/illegal plans.

Uh, about that…
https://www.fastcompany.com/90606044/facebook-health-tracker-wearable

11 Likes

We’re burdened with a corrupt government rife with cronyism approving these criminals so they won’t save us.

ETA: I think My Little Crony could do with some updating.

9 Likes

Oh, lordy! I thought I was joking!

Be Afraid Jeff Goldblum GIF

6 Likes

While you’re selling your customers’ DNA, why not also see if you can find them guilty of a crime?

5 Likes

We live in an era when the Onion articles of yesterday turn into the news of today…

5 Likes

This fails GDPR hard. So, even in post-BREXIT times, since GDPR still holds, the company is open to serious, possibly bankrupting penalties.

And I don’t feel an atto-ounce of sympathy for them.

5 Likes

Nobody listens to Mulder.

3 Likes

Remember folks, if you’re getting something for free, you’re not the customer, you’re the product.

What? They bought the tests and still had their DNA sold? Well, that’s a new level of scummery than I’d thought.

2 Likes

I think the idea that paying for a product means you escape this kind of crap needs to be challenged because it’s just not true.

https://pluralistic.net/2021/11/14/still-the-product/#vizio

See also John Deere.

5 Likes