This Florida company delivering negative COVID test results before folks actually take the test seems sketchy

Originally published at: This Florida company delivering negative COVID test results before folks actually take the test seems sketchy | Boing Boing

7 Likes

It’s sketchy AF, but very convenient.

21 Likes

Give them a government contact to test employees?

35 Likes

The scam has been reported to the government run by Ron “DeathSentence” DeSantis, so obviously nothing is going to happen.

21 Likes

Name trying it’s hardest to sound like the CDC is also a red flag…

14 Likes

fla sawed off

bugs-bunny-florida-icegif-2

14 Likes

So this is obviously to get around vaccine mandates / etc

5 Likes

I’m actually surprised that the Florida state health dept / government doesn’t do this already.

12 Likes

And/or a cabinet position

8 Likes

This is one area where libertarians will admit that the government is more efficient than a private company: The state of Florida just doesn’t test you and skips the whole process!

7 Likes

So, are they going to submit false info to insurance companies to cover the costs of fake tests? Or are they just mining peoples’ personal information for identity scams? Or both?

9 Likes

They must be blending some thiotimoline in the test kits.

The trick is if you use the negative result and give the kit to someone else without using it, they will get your actual result.

7 Likes

TIL. That’s a wonderful story!

5 Likes

I would predict, award them a huge contract to take over testing throughout the state.

13 Likes

they obviously use precogs

8 Likes

Medal of freedom?

5 Likes

The company is based in Chicago and the grift is starting to come unraveled elsewhere as well.

https://granthshala.com/whats-the-center-for-covid-control-questionable-sites-spotlight-nations-thirst-for-quick-testing
a couple key quotes:

The website claims that the company has “partnered with a laboratory approved and licensed by the CDC” but does not specify which laboratory.

“I felt like they sent negative results,” Weber said. “I got upset and worried thinking that they would kill someone if they kept sending these false negatives.”

10 Likes

murder-minority

5 Likes

Last week I had suspicious cold-like symptoms, so I panicked and got tested (rapid and PCR, both negative, so I guess garden-variety colds are back this winter). There is a location in a strip center within a couple miles of me. When I was researching where to get tested, they were near the top of the search results. I checked their website, got a sketchy vibe from … something/everything. I went to an established walk-in clinic instead.

4 Likes

Something like this was partly responsible for the spike in cases in the Netherlands last summer. When nightclubs reopened, people who weren’t vaccinated had to show a recent negative test (the Netherlands opened up vaccination availability in very strict age order all the way down to kids, so many of the core nightclub-going demographic weren’t yet eligible). Some testing sites were overwhelmed and ended up just sending people a negative result if their sample hadn’t been run on time.

(Another reason was the so-called “dansen met Janssen” policy, where people were allowed into clubs without a test immediately after their first dose of the J&J vaccine).

6 Likes