Covington Catholic student Nick Sandmann loses defamation lawsuits against Rolling Stone, CBS, ABC, NYT, and Gannett

That seems to be a bit of a reach. I could agree if he and his retinue all showed up in full native garb but, again, he was presented with a gift he was expected to wear and he did so, though only briefly.

Does this mean I can’t get another Jamaican shirt to replace the one I wore out several years ago? I really like those. :frowning:

1 Like

That, right there, is at least .8 Shkrelis on the facial punchability scale.

13 Likes

The Canadian government isn’t wrong about the inadequacy of the gesture; but “our co-conspirator isn’t sorry enough for our liking” isn’t a desperately good look for them.

2 Likes

That’s not necessarily the best example as Trump and Johnson tend to actually be ranting idiots for the most part.

7 Likes

No, but it means “wipipo” with dreadlocks or cornrows is not a good look.

Just like wearing an “aloha shirt” for business casual day isn’t offensive because it sprang from the desire for more casual business wear, but not from centuries of Polynesian formal tradition.
War bonnets are simply not equivalent to the Hawaiian lei.

8 Likes

True enough, I was being a tad facetious. But I find it hard to fault the pope for putting it on when his hosts, the people he came to apologize to, wanted him to. I can see how it would be difficult to diplomatically refuse to do so.

Full disclosure: I’m an atheist, the pope holds no special place in my heart.

3 Likes

Is .8 Shkrelis of punchability roughly equivalent to 800,000 on the Entitled Shitbag scale?

3 Likes

What exactly is a “Jamaican shirt”?

3 Likes

This. I’m an atheist as well, and the Catholic church has a lot to answer for, including some experiences in my family. That said, he was presented with it and expected to put it on. It would have been offensive to refuse.

I certainly understand how many First Nations persons would object. That is entirely their prerogative.

His apology doesn’t fix the wrongs done, but it is a start in the right direction. I simply cannot imagine previous popes doing any such thing (Ratzinger? Not a chance).

3 Likes

Um…

That’s a dashiki.

Just sayin’.

15 Likes

Thanks. Mine was given to me by a family member who brought it back from Jamaica so I just always referred to it as a Jamaican shirt. Never investigated it any further. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Originally from West Africa, available throughout the diaspora.

13 Likes

Comfortable and attractive. I really am a big fan.

1 Like

FTFY. You haven’t had to pay for a lawyer recently have you? :grin:

4 Likes

It’s also known as a Kitenge in East Africa.

14 Likes

crap

4 Likes

They aren’t, which makes presenting one by the Grand Chief of the Confederacy of Treaty 6 First Nation a very grand gesture, recognizing the Pope as a community leader. Diplomacy is full of gifts like that.

Of course not everyone is happy about it. I hope it is just the beginning of accounting for sins of the past.

4 Likes

Gotcha, thanks. I never especially associated dashikis with Jamaica specifically, and searching for “Jamaican shirt” just turns up t-shirts with Bob Marley quotes or the Jamaican flag.

4 Likes

Apparently they’re West African, it was my mistake, :slight_smile:

7 Likes