Cowboy Bebop live-action: why we can't have nice things

Presumably because some suits did a production-cost-to-new-eyeballs-attracted analysis and didn’t like what they saw. Spaceship sets and movie-quality special effects cost a lot more than Tiger King documentaries.

11 Likes

I think some minor controversy over Faye’s outfit had alot to do with it! \S

1 Like

I still haven’t watched it - but it is on the list. My expectations are low, so maybe I will find stuff I like about it.

As for not renewing it for a 2nd season - was it more about low watch not numbers and less about some vocal fans?

1 Like

Very true. So what’s the explanation (both in the anime and in the new show) for building a copy of ~1980s Tijuana in space? I’m not familiar with the source material but the disconnect between spaceships and old cars (which someone decided are appropriate transportation on a space colony?) was kinda jarring for me.

Here’s a 1970s Chevy Camaro. The pilot episode also featured at least two cars from the 1950s.

Was gutted when I read about the cancellation earlier.
I’d never seen the anime, yet I really enjoyed the Netflix adaptation, and was excited to see where it went. Hell, I even thought that because the original series was quite limited in length (from what I’d read), there was little chance of it being cancelled by Netflix.

But nope.

I can’t say for sure if the fans of the original are directly to blame, but I didn’t see much positive from any of them.
But then one of my rules of the Internet is to ignore and discount the opinion of anyone with an anime girl avatar.

I’ve tried “proper” anime several times over the years, and bounced off hard most times, thanks to overly tropey story telling and some very unsavoury character archetypes being present in almost all of it I’ve seen.
To be honest, that’s what’s putting me off of watching the original Cowboy Bebop.

Well, that and the presence of Steve Blum, who while I’m sure is a lovely guy, just rips me out of whatever narrative I’m trying to follow thanks to his omnipresence as a voice actor for games.

I really liked Castlevania. But while that had the usual excellent anime animation, it also wasn’t burdened with the usual tropes, thanks to being written by someone outside of the usual Manga/Anime echo chamber.

7 Likes

I would assume that as far as Netflix is concerned it’s down to the numbers, because they know precisely how many subscribers watched it.

Now, bad reviews and negative word of mouth are an obvious explanation for why the numbers didn’t go up.

1 Like

Yeah, the old cars thing was just weird. Fit the vibe, sorta? My headcanon is Fireflyesque, in that on these colonies they had started from a few steps behind the times and only advanced to (in this case) 1978 personal transportation. But i hated that about Firefly too. It still makes no sense at all. Kiiiiiiiiinda cool? But really kinda not.

But new colonies being named after old places back in the homeland, that’s kinda been around a bit. It seems like the anime didn’t really go so far to duplicate the culture of our oldtowns in their new worlds, so that’s maybe a bit much too.

3 Likes

Harsh but fair.

10 Likes

For sure, and if they’d had a colony of that name that seemed inspired by Tijuana rather than an exact copy of Tijuana from a couple decades ago that would have been great.

2 Likes

I loved it!

I loved that particular mix of drama, comedy and violence.

I loved the look and feel of layer after layer of anachronistic junk. Such texture! Such a delight!

I loved the Bebop and I want to go live in it.

I loved Ana’s bar and I want to go drink there and I want Ana and Gren to be my friends.

I loved the chemistry of the three principal characters. I loved the way the actors inhabited their parts with a special shout-out to Daniella Pineda with her comic timing and her precision control of the dramatic potential of her eyes.

I loved the whole thing and I’m eagerly awaiting season two.

21 Likes

I watched Cowboy Bebop on Netflix and thought it was fun. I don’t give one crap about the 1990’s cartoon version and I think anime as a genre, in general, is boring.

anticipates the need to dodge

Eventually folks will realize that the companies who create these adaptations care about people like me more than they do about folks who are expecting a sweet heaping spoonful of nostalgia and fan service. After all, there are way more of me and it’s virtually impossible to live up to the extremely lofty expectations of a Stan.

9 Likes

I’ve got some bad news for you

10 Likes

I’m glad there are people here who watched the Netflix show first. That’s interesting to me. I never fully bought into the whole read-the-book-first ideology, and have always found that nothing’s really hurt or endangered or out-of-place by coming at it from a different direction or in an unauthorized order from other media.

I hope you all can make the time to go watch the original. It really is crazy good, in all the best ways. And it’s honestly pretty different from other anime, if you’re turned off by the animeity of that genre. Sure, OG Faye is definitely a bit too boobulous, but she’s really a great character and rock solid team member. All the characters are very different and memorable, and work very harmoniously in terms of where they fit in the story and in their relationships to each other. But if you thought the live action show was neat, you may just find the anime to be something pretty special. It really is in a class all on its own.

8 Likes

I guess I’ll just keep watching season one over and over the way I do DGHDA…

8 Likes

If you think of it as a “Cowboy Bebop shaped object” you can dislike it on its own merits.

2 Likes

There’s a contradiction inherent in that: If they cared about people like you, why are they using an existing brand with an existing fanbase?

I think the natural answer is that they don’t care about fans of the original brand or new consumers… They’re just in it for a quick buck. Not sure how it worked out in this case.

Similarly I like the Foundation TV series despite never having read the books. Same with The Expanse… But in my mind that raises an important question: Did the shows need to be adaptations of the books, or could they have been derived from the books but called something else and not be explicitly linked to them with a claim of “books on TV”?

I can’t answer that myself; I got into The Foundation due to good reviews. But did the outlets I see the reviews in decide to review them in the first place because of them being adaptations of the books?

This one still hurts. That was such a wonderful show.

6 Likes

I enjoyed. The visuals and vibe felt similar to the Fifth Element. We need more of that.

7 Likes

My biggest peeve about the remake is how low-budget it feels when they aren’t slathering on the CGI. I don’t mean the sets are cheap or shoddy; Clearly the production team poured a ton of thought, effort, and artistry into their work, but the whole thing has a very “Xena” after-hours show feel.

Maybe it’s a deliberate style choice for modern shows, 'cause Wheel of time has the same vibe despite Amazon spending truckloads of cash on each episode.

1 Like

I’ve seen only two of the live action Rurouni Kenshin movies, but I was blown away. Stories were intriguing. The blade work was nuts!

1 Like