Crap logo ideas

AMEN. this is exactly what i face every. single. day.

The problem is that if you use one, you’re undistinguished from all the others who use a similar one. The other problem is that if you use one which is out of the ordinary then = as pointed out earlier:

Which means, I suppose, that logos can’t really work at all. Brand names still do though. So clearly all logos should just be the brand names in (altogether now) Comic Sans.

1 Like

Truth is, I do graphic design / web design for the money, not higher ideals or aesthetic virtue. It’s the dollars. If my clients are pleasant to deal with, and they pay their invoices, what do I care if the art is less than the platonic ideal of graphic design. Perhaps I would feel differently if I was a rock star designer raking in the dough, but I’m just glad that I don’t have to punch a clock anymore.

Yep yep.

You want a rainbow of poorly kerned comic sans? I might roll my eyes where you can’t see, but I’ll build it and be happy, as long as I get paid.

Most small time, small town, small business owners want to spend as little as possible, and get their marketing materials done as quickly as possible. I’d be laughed at if I wanted to conceptualize and wank for a week. Most of the time, they just need their business cards in time for the marketing opportunity on Saturday, and can it be done or not? This says a lot about my location, but I like living in the boonies.

When I make something for myself, that’s a horse of a different color. I have a poetry chapbook with a kick-ass cover, because I worked on that for about 10-15 hours. I love it, and get lots of compliments, but I don’t have the kind of customers who will pay for that kind of time. This is not a complaint, because hey, I have customers!

2 Likes

I like when there are local cliches. In Tucson AZ, it seems like every company has a saguaro cactus or a sunrise/sunset over a mountain. In State College PA everyone gravitates towards the Imperial Blue + White color scheme. Speaking of which, the avatar I made is Imperial Blue and White…crap.

1 Like

Sometimes it’s the designer that doesn’t “get” the company. Many years ago I did mechanical effects for commercials, and went to the design firm of my sister’s friend for cards and letterhead. I told them what I did, but emphasized it was NOT hi tech, and suggested a rube goldberg sketch like a fist hitting a spoon launching an egg that popped a parachute. What did I get? Not a handful of sketches to choose from like I had been taught in design school, but one finished ink drawing, of a robot hand holding a card with my company name. I walked out.

This. Also, I do not comment and polish code I simply write for myself.

1 Like

Your designer suggested a banana in a tophat? Can I have their name and contact info please?

2 Likes

Oh, not this beauty, this was my own creation. Because spats are classy.

As evidenced by Scrooge McDuck and Flintheart Glomgold.

We ain’t got no pants but the spats really complete the ensemble.

Completely sincere question: How should you shop for a logo?

Let’s say I have a small business. Price does matter. Also, while I don’t have skills, I still have opinions. I happen to think that many (presumably professionally designed) logos out there are crap. So I am not really comfortable with just letting you do your thing without any input and accepting whatever you come up with.

How should I do that?

The critique is from the side of the line that says your logo should be unique so when they see it matched with a product, they recognize who it’s from, and will bring business to it.

So lets e.g. this shit:

You’re a realtor, you sell houses, and you put your big logo out in all the sold places. Options:

1. Get a comfortably cliche’d logo
  2. Get a less comfortable but uniquely recognizable logo

Option 1, given our assumption above, would end up providing indistinguishablity with your competition in the market place. So everytime you put your nice logo in a front yard, there’s X% chance that your competition make get credit because your logo is a cliche.

Option 2 corners the market, and is unmistakable for anything other than you.

So the critique is, if a logo is suppose to intrinsically represent you it should not be easy to confuse with them.

EDIT: There are other reasons to follow cliches in design, as others have pointed from the design side. From the customer side:

1. People don’t want to stand out
  2. Less genuine companies want purposeful confusion (undercutter/low baller)
  3. Don’t think it’s a worthwhile investment.

That’s why realtors have to put their photograph on everything, so there is something to distinguish them from everybody else…

Where are the bean people? I want to see me some bean people!

To be honest, I can’t really tell the difference between these and good logos. In fact, surely one of them started as a good logo and got relentlessly copied. Did that turn it into a bad idea?

Precisely. That’s why you literally can’t afford to hire a design company that does all the work for you, with extended interviews about what you expect, what your company stands for, if or what philosophy there is in place.

If the purpose of a logo is to be recognizably unique, then yes.

Of course, the only way to prevent that is to trademark your logo. Currently, that means paying the government around $400. It also involves the willingness to litigate infringements and that is far more expensive.This is why nothing is ever trademarked except by large companies (you’ll never see the AT&T logo copied) or valuable properties (you’ll never see another Gone With The Wind).

I believe this issue was addressed in a recent episode of Silicon Valley . . . . . . . .

Sometimes clients don’t want their logo to be too unique. They want it to be “in fashion” with others in their business, or just “in business”, because they honestly believe that people won’t find them if their logo is different.

@waterloonie asked about an optometrist design that doesn’t use an eye. I actually did find a designer who worked through sample designs for an optometrist, and some incorporate an eye, some don’t. Two logos use the initials to make abstract versions of either an eye or a pair of glasses. One design includes a phoropter, the multi-lensed device used to check your eyes. In total, the designer provided 5 fully original designs plus variations on two of the designs.

At the bottom of the page, you’ll see that the designer was ready with back up designs - standards if the client wasn’t feeling adventurous (and they weren’t). The one provided happens to be the very first example of a crap logo design “The company’s acronym cut in two colors by an arc (usually Trajan font)”. People get used to seeing what’s “in style” and they falsely believe that’s what they should do too.

1 Like

There’s the Manka Bros. Ox from the 1920s:
http://mankabros.com/blogs/chairman/2013/11/22/the-manka-bros-iconic-ox-logo-is-back/

That one I like a lot. I would go into optometry to use that logo.

1 Like