'Crapa Pelada,' Quartetto Cetra, 1945 (Gale's 'Italian Song' from 'Breaking Bad')

[Permalink]

Incidentally, David Costabile (Gale B.) is going to have a role in AMC's new series, Low Winter Sun.

Here's some info on this song: it's actually a traditional nursery rhyme in milanese dialect, turned into a song by Gorni Kramer (a popular italian composer and accordionist) and covered many times by many italian jazzmen (one for all, Lino Patruno in a stunning New Orleans traditional jazz style). The lyrics are simple but a little enigmatic: "Bald Head is cooking sweet rolls, but he doesn't' give any of it to his brothers; his brothers are cooking an omelette, but they don't give any of it to Bald Head." (in milanese dialect: "Crapa Pelada la fa i tortej, ghe ne da minga ai soj fradej; i soj fradej fan la frittada, ghe ne dan minga a Crapa Pelada").
Is this a cautionary tale on greed? Or the beginning of a hatred between brothers? I can say for sure, there's some kind of rivalry between cooks, here.

The song was released in 1945. The most (in)famous bald man in Italy was undoubtedly Mussolini. Who was killed in April 1945. Was this meant to be a taunting song?

what was the name of the second song gale listens to in the episode, while he's checking his tea kettle right before jesse knocks on the door?

I logged simply to write what industwetrust already very well explained. Only, I add here the link of Patruno's version (live) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_XsecYdk6A . I had the privilege to meet him, some years ago... Great man.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.