My name is potato

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/08/my-name-is-potato.html

11 Likes

Ah The classic racism…

1 Like

Is this some kind of double entendre?

1 Like

Still making new songs, with not so good results…

1 Like

Yes!

2 Likes

Potato

15 Likes

biggest bullshit in that commercial…the bag being so full. :smiley:

1 Like

Fun video, catchy song, but potato must have another meaning I’m unaware of.
I kept looking for something underneath and not finding it

8 Likes

I was about to write that while I didn’t catch all the Italian, it didn’t sound like there was anything racist in the song - but then I watched again and saw the Native American stuff in the animation, so I get what you’re saying.

The song itself though is something I can use to help me improve my Italian

3 Likes

Well, there’s no animation (which is a shame, actually) and it’s not as saucy, but this is my favorite love song to a potato:

1 Like

It’s more glaringly obvious when it’s about you.

4 Likes

Dare I click on it. The last time BB posted an Italian pop song I had this on loop for way to long.

3 Likes

On a related note, my plans to attend Sanremo are on indefinite hold :frowning:

I still hope to, one day.

Huh, I´m pretty sure some of the Stuff in the animation reel was from Bruno Bozetto, another amazing italian animator.

Indeed.

Also noteworthy that “American” is apparently synonymous with crazy gun behavior. But guess that one is fair.

1 Like

Also… is she standing atop one of the Twin Towers at 1:18? Or is that just supposed to be a generic skyscraper?

Also, I’m not sure what you’re saying re: “not so good results” - her voice is raspier with age, but it totally suits the darker theme of the lyrics. I’d say she’s still got the chops.

Patata means potato but is also a slang term for female genitalia and for extendon a sexy woman.
Patatona means huge potato but doesn’t have a vulgat meaning but is clumsy and awkward.
And for the Native American, remember that Italians love westerns.
If you want to improve Italian thre is a nice comic, Tex that is printed since 1946 and tel the stories of Tex a Texas ranger and his friends.

7 Likes

Molto grazie!

1 Like

Long Live the New Potato!

3 Likes