Italian ad with nuns eating potato chips as communion wafers called 'blasphemy'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/11/italian-ad-with-nuns-eating-potato-chips-as-communion-wafers-called-blasphemy.html

5 Likes

How is that blasphemous? Isn’t that how transubstantiation works?

22 Likes

Jesus was just getting a little salty.

There are fewer groups more thin-skinned and humourless than religious fundies.

19 Likes

“And when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, take, dip, this is my nacho, which is broken for you”
– 1 Corinthians 11:23 (revised)

21 Likes

I mean, do we know Jesus was not a spud?

14 Likes

:thinking:

7 Likes

No, this is trans fat commercialization. Common mistake.

26 Likes

As an altar-boy long long ago in a congregational church, i had the job of filling the communion, well… shot glasses really, with grape juice; i think it was Welch’s. there was a short conversation with the pastor if Jebuz’s blood didn’t deserve a bit of ethanol for initial kick which was quickly dismissed without any reference to any Biblical passage. selah.

12 Likes

According to some Evangelicals, grape juice didn’t start fermenting on it’s own until after the first century CE.

14 Likes

Take your average Italian food gatekeeping, and then add Catholicism? Yikes. Not that I care one whit about bLaSpHeMy (huge eyeroll) but what were they thinking?

4 Likes

They were probably thinking they could generate a huge amount of free publicity by making an edgy ad that would go viral on social media.

20 Likes

That would be news to the guests at the wedding at Cana. :wine_glass:

12 Likes

In a PepsiCo Lays ad? There’s the outrage.

12 Likes

Trivializing (and maybe even mildly mocking) something that a group of people find important and meaningful, even if you don’t yourself find it meaningful, in order to sell potato chips does seem a bit tasteless (no pun intended…well, maybe a little pun intended).

7 Likes

Potatoes are a New World food, so no, he wouldn’t have been a spud.

Really? I hadn’t heard that. But it doesn’t surprise me. The whole “animals didn’t eat meat until after the fall of Adam and Eve” always gets me too.

Well the post is down so I can’t see the ad.

On one hand, “Lighten up, Francis.” On the other, Communion is one of the important holy rituals that pretty much all sects practice in one way or another, so maybe you shouldn’t poke fun of it?

Imagine them running an ad that a few discrete Lays chips during Ramadan doesn’t count for breaking a fast. Or that potato chips can be a stand in for unleavened matzo during Passover.

ETA - I finally saw it. So they didn’t REPLACE the wafers with chips, they just had a nun to the side disturbing the peace with a loud crunch during Communion. The post made it sound like there was a swap - and the audience is meant to think that for a split second, before the reveal.

So, that seems a lot more innocuous that it was described. Though if someone is going to get upset, it’s going to be a country with a large number of Catholics.

2 Likes

New Tastement?

potato-chip-jesus

17 Likes

Clearly a fake. Jesus is too buy building hot rods to appear on every misshapen or weird burn marked potato chip.

4 Likes

24 Likes

Exactly. I read this thinking, “oh boo hoo.”

4 Likes

Did you just spud-splain an Irish guy?

22 Likes